the Church Organ Appeal
brief history on the Organ
organ in Holy Trinity in Funchal, Madeira, Portugal,
was built in 1869 in London, for an Englishman,
by a German, August Gern, in French
Twenty years later it was brought
to Madeira by Dr. M.C. Grabham, renowned surgeon
and botanist, and installed in his home, Quinta
do Val Formosa.
Dr. Grabham, an accomplished musician, died in 1935.
The organ was given by his family to the English
Church, where it has been an integral part of worship
since November 1936.
The English Church is the custodian of this fine
example of the complexity of European musical culture.
needs to be done?