buying a used car on madeira

edited December 1969 in Activities
i am interested in buying a used car to leave at my recently aquired home in funchal, but on my recent trip to madeira i noticed how expensive used cars were,is there a local dealerwho is any good ?,is there a local newspaper, or web page where cars are advertised ? .
how complicated is it to bring over a car from the UK ,are there any restrictions from the local madeira authorities on the size of the engine of the car that i would want to import, & finally does anybody know anything about costs involved in the transporting of a car from lisbon ?,porto ? to funchal.
as i have zero knoledge in this area any help of any kind would be appreciated.
kind regards tony

Comments

• Hi It is true that cars are expensive but unless you are determined I wouldn't recommend importing. For one all the car park machines are on the left and re registration can take a long time There is considerable red tape and Madeira does not rush anything, so it could be frustrating.There are several daily papers which advertise cars and also many around with sale signs in the windows. You shouldn't have too much trouble buying, but expect to pay more than UK.Suggest you perhaps contact Time Consult re costs etc - info@timeconsult-madeira.com. Hope this helps
  • We found it very much cheaper to bring both our uk cars with us and are really glad we did. There is a lot of documentation to complete on arrival, but it is well worth it, and you can use your vehicle immediately. When you buy a car here there is a huge amount of tax to pay, even on a secondhand vehicle , and we saved a lot of money despite transporting the cars here. Because we brought our own there was no import tax, just the shipping charge. You have 6 months to obtain Portuguese licence plates, which is comparatively hassle free, but takes a while for the papers to come through. Yes, you can pay Time Consult a large amount of money to do it for you or advise you, or you can ask people who have actually done it, like us! We have copies of all the documentation and can tell you exactly what to do if it's any help. We did it all ourselves by talking to the relevant officials, having been advised by a Portuguese lawyer friend living in the uk before we moved here.. Please feel free to contact us if you would like further information.

As for parking, it really isn't a problem to lean across to the car park barrier, or nip out! Even some Madeirans drive right hand drive cars!
  • hi angela,
    thanks for a speedy reply,you have sent me so much info i dont know where to start .i am surprised & pleased that ther is no import duty to pay ,is that because these are uk cars ie RHD or has it something to do with residency?. did you use a container to ship your cars from the uk ,or were the cars shipped from mainland europe ,can you say what the approx cost is?.
    when you say that you spoke to madeira officials ,was it that you speak portugese or do they speak english .
    i will take your advice re time consult & car parking barriers.
    if it is possible i would like to see the docs regarding car imports if you dont mind & finally if i may thank you sincerely for contacting me as you have passed on more info in one mail than i have found during many hours of searching on the internet .
    kind regards tonyAngela wrote:

> We found it very much cheaper to bring both our uk cars with us
    > and are really glad we did. There is a lot of documentation
    > to complete on arrival, but it is well worth it, and you can
    > use your vehicle immediately. When you buy a car here there
    > is a huge amount of tax to pay, even on a secondhand vehicle ,
    > and we saved a lot of money despite transporting the cars here.
    > Because we brought our own there was no import tax, just the
    > shipping charge. You have 6 months to obtain Portuguese
    > licence plates, which is comparatively hassle free, but takes a
    > while for the papers to come through. Yes, you can pay Time
    > Consult a large amount of money to do it for you or advise you,
    > or you can ask people who have actually done it, like us! We
    > have copies of all the documentation and can tell you exactly
    > what to do if it's any help. We did it all ourselves by
    > talking to the relevant officials, having been advised by a
    > Portuguese lawyer friend living in the uk before we moved
    > here.. Please feel free to contact us if you would like
    > further information.
    >
    > As for parking, it really isn't a problem to lean across to the
    > car park barrier, or nip out! Even some Madeirans drive right
    > hand drive cars!

• Tried to send you a private reply as too long for this site! E-mail returned. Would you be willing to post your e-mail address so I can reply?
  • hi angela,
    my email address is joepem@ntlworld.com.
    kind regards tony
  • Hi ,i,m moving to Madeira,in a few months and want to take my Dutch car with me ,i would be very grateful if you could send me copies of the import paperwork,and if any import tax has to be paid,thanks very much.
  • Hi ,i,m moving to Madeira,in a few months and want to take my Dutch car with me ,i would be very grateful if you could send me copies of the import paperwork,and if any import tax has to be paid,thanks very much.
  • Dear Angela.

I am sorry to contact you like this, but I was wondering if you could help us.

We have a place in Funchal too & would like a car there, but they are so expensive in Madeira.

My Father & I would like to send a car to Madeira & see that you have been talking with Tony Pemberton about the same subject.

Would it be possible for you to contact us & help us with some questions?

My e-mail address is: tony.debrito@dfdstransport.co.uk (work) & our telephone numbers are: 07790 179716 / 07989 083499 (Michael) / 01206 501319 (evenings). We will call you back to save your phone bill.

We hope you can spare us some time to help us with this.

With thanks & best regards,
    Tony & Michael.
  • Dear Tony.

My Father & I also have a place in Madeira & would like to send a car there from the UK.

We see that you have been talking to Angela about this & was wondering whether you could share some information with us?

Is it possible that you could contact us to help us?

My e-mail address is: tony.debrito@dfdstransport.co.uk (work) & our numbers are: 07790 179716 / 07989 083499 (Michael) / 01206 501319 (Evenings). We will call you back to save your phone bill.

We hope that you can spare some time to help us!

With thanks & best regards,
    Tony & Michael.
  • its just like a big family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hi,

Back to buying a used car...
    Is that realy so difficult? We are
    moving to Madeira in September and
    are looking to buy a realy cheap car.
    Under 1000 euro, Is that impossible?
    I dont think it would be an alternative
    to bring our car because I think it would
    as much as it is worths....
  • You will find that used and new cars are quite a bit more expensive than on the mainland. 1000 euros is unlikely to get a car , we paid over 2000 euros for a 1997 Peugeot. You may be lucky if you travel around and find a private buyer or check the local papers.
    Hope this helps
  • try www.cybermadeira.com or www.vendas.com.pt the cybermadeira has a simple search engine for the cars
  • Dear Angela,

I have come over from the UK and am considering bringing my bashed up workhorse over. Did you ship yours directly over from mainland UK or Europe? It sounds better than paying the extortionate prices over here!

Many thanks in advance for your help!

PC
  • hello!
    for a good car at good price try cybermadeira.com.
    as for the transport of cars from the mainland will cost you over 500 euros.
    I think you will be better of getting your car in madeira
    just shop around and you will find what your looking for.
    carlos.
  • Really the cars have become very expensive this days. Guys who are from middle class families are not able to even buy used cars. If your are looking for dealer. the best thing use internet search engines. These are worth helpful.
    ------------------------------------
    Jack Steven

Used Cars
  • Hi there, sorry to contact you like this, my name is kevin and myself and girlfriend will be moving to madeira in the near future and i would like to import my uk car also as i have had it since i passed my test and would never sell it, so it has to go with me wherever i go! Also my parents live over there and want to buy a car but the prices are ridiculous as i have been looking around and just got back to the uk today. Is there any different laws to importing a left hand drive car from europe and the age of the car for tax purposes also, as i know in some countries you can pay a lot more for registering a newer car rather than an older car! Any help on this situation would help us out and i would be very grateful and once again sorry for contacting you this way! Hope the weather on your side of the island was better than it was on our side the last 2 weeks! :)
    Kind regards, Kevin.
  • If you take a look at the website www.madeira4u.com there is a lot of info regarding importing cars to Madeira (which incidentaly is a lengthy complex process). If you put importing cars into the search engine on the top right of the home page and read through the info on driving on Madeira, usually comes up at the top of the page
  • I think you must reviews all the laws for importing cars in madeira.Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a car instead of importing it.

New Cars
  • Obtaining a car loan isn’t as easy as you might think. It’s not like picking up some milk at the grocery. You can’t just run in, grab a gallon of easy cash and then run out. Anyone who might be thinking about obtaining a car loan needs to take a close look at their finances and car options before they begin searching for a car loan.
    Boy Scouts love to "be prepared" when they head out on a camping trip. They know that packing the right supplies is a critical part of surviving in the wilderness. Before you start shopping for a car loan, you need to be prepared.

Think of yourself like a Boy Scout would. You’ll need to gather together the right “supplies” to survive in the “wilderness” or in this case, the world of auto financing. Even the slightest mistake could stay with you for years.
    --------
    mukesh

Used Cars-Used Cars
  • Is there any different laws to importing a left hand drive car from europe and the age of the car for tax purposes also, as i know in some countries you can pay a lot more for registering a newer car rather than an older car!
  • How much old it is.
  • Is there any different laws to importing a left hand drive car from europe and the age of the car for tax purposes also, as i know in some countries you can pay a lot more for registering a newer car rather than an older car!
  • Yeah actually it is really big.
  • Yes you can purchase an used car. I am also using used Chevrolet for a long time. And its good. You can check it out.
  • Yes, You are right. Before going for a loan one should think about it. I want to know if there are any option to get loan to buy an used car?
  • The Rough Guide to Madeira is the ultimate pocket handbook to this beautiful semi-tropical island. Lively accounts of every attraction on Madeira and its neighbour Porto Santo are included, from the capital, Funchal, to unspoilt fishing villages and mountain escapes. Insider's reviews of the best accommodation, cafe's and restaurants feature alongside detailed information on walks along the levadas, mountain trails and coastal paths. Together with colour photos and maps showing the island's towns, beaches, walks and main attractions, the Rough Guide to Madeira is essential reading for anyone visiting the island.