Reid Family tree

edited December 1969 in Family and Friends
I am the Grandson of a William James Reid Mills, a police constable in Liverpool, England, Born 1910. His father James Mills was a Pilot for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, though I can find no record of when he took up this job. His mother was Harriet Eliza .......(possibly Hesketh) before she married James Mills. Harriet was VERY fond of Madeira and stayed with relatives at the Reids Hotel, suggesting that William Reid, the original founder was in some way related. Sadly, I started my family tree too late to be able to gather any real information, though I do remember Harriet as she ended her days living with my parents and I.
I would dearly like to be able to trace the connection, in the hope that it will enable me to trace my family tree back more generations. I am not interested in financial gain and would simply like to have some facts to hang on the family folklore that I have inherited. I do hope to be able to visit Madeira at some point, for a holiday, but this is unlikely at present as I have a major fear of flying! (The Mills family were all sea farers apart from my Grandfather and I much prefer to travel by this mode of transport!)If anyone can give me any information or direct me to places where I could look, I would be very grateful, and I may be able to give them some information about the later generations of the family in England.Thanks for reading this.

Comments

• Teresa Sardinha, a friend of ours is actually doing a bit of research into this matter already. I have asked her to give us some info when she can. I do know that William Reid did come over as a sailor who worked very hard in Madeira and made his fortune here. His dream of the Reid's Hotel was realised soon after his unfortunate passing away. It is a very sobering thought to remember the humble beginnings of this ingeniuos man, and the example he has set for us.
    If you are lucky you can email the Reid's Palace Hotel, if they reply to all their email, you may want to give it a try anyway: reids@mail.telepac.pt
    In the meantime when we have gathred more data we will inform you.
  • noWilliam Reid was a Scotsman born in 1822 in Kilmarnock, son of a local farmer. As his physical condition was not amenable to the climate in Scotland, his father, of little means, managed to collect 5 pounds and send his son to more hospitable climates down south. Working on boats that travelled to Lisbon he eventaully arrived one day in Funchal, Madeira, and decided to stay on. Here he worked very hard, with a lot of ambition and foresight. By the age of 26 (1848)he was an already well established businessman, exporting the very successful Madeira Wine.
    In the years following that he diversified into the hotel trade. As from 1850 Reid acquired various accommodation establishments until when he was also able to purchase the now famous promontory of, then called "Salto do Cavalo", where the Reids Palace Hotel now stands.
    He chose George Somers Clarke toi design the hotel - a strong connection with Shepheard's Hotel in Cairo an obvious and desired relationship.Is this info OK ?
  • noMany thanks for the information - it was a great help. Several suggestions take me to Kilmarnock, Scotland, so I hope to travel there shortly to look in more detail. The area was totally unexpected but several pieces of information suggest that my grandfather went to this part of Scotland to visit on a regular basis. It also suggested a new area to look for the birth of my great grandmother - now known to have been Harriet Eliza Hayward, before she married and became Harriet Eliza Mills.
    Thanks again for your help, I will stay in touch and hope to make it to your beautiful island one day.
  • I am seeking information on the Reid family. My grandfather left the Madeira Islands at the end
    of the 19th century. I believe he was connected to
    the Reid family.
  • ACTUALLY I SAW YOUR NAME THERESA SARDINHA AND I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE RELATED TO SARDINHA FAMILY.I'M TRYING TO TRACE MY FATHER FAMILY. IF YOU CAN HELP LET ME KNOW THANK YOU.MANUEL
  • I am Teresa´s brother.
    My father´s name is Antonio Nunes Sardinha and his mother was Julia Nunes da Costa, originally from Calheta (Madeira Island).
    Both our parents immigrated to South Africa many years ago, we were both born and educated there, we have since moved to Madeira.
  • I`m not sure if I`m a relative to allthese reid I have read about.Im trying to find out more about my family tree.All I know about is my grandfather Robert Samuel Reid.Which has passed away in 1972.please reply
  • Are there any Windsor names marrying into the Reid family?
  • I have only just regained contact after a 3 year absence - many apologies. I have made little progress in tracing the Reid's before they appeared in Madeira, although I have now got back two generations further with my own direct family in England. If any of you have further information on the family of William Reid - founder of Reid's hotel, particularly relating to the Kilmarnock area of Scotland, or Liverpool, England, please get in touch.
    My hopes of getting to Madeira (mentioned in 1998) will soon be realised - dates still to be confirmed in 2003, and I hope to be able to see for myself the beauty that my great grandmother spoke of.
  • I read that your relatives left Madeira Island at the end of the 19th century. Unfortunately I don´t have any information to give you on that but as a matter os fact I am doing a research work on the relations between Madeira and England and if I came acoss anything I will let you know.
    I would also like to ask you if you know anything about a family called Phelps who also left Madeira at the end of the 19th century? any idea where to look for information about them?

thank you
  • I am studying at Glasgow University, in Scotland.
    I love buying old photoes and making up stories about the people in them, or trying to find out things about those people. I recently bought a photo at which back you can read "Madeira, 1938". I started searching on the net for information, and I saw your message on the forum. I know it is very unlikely that the people on the photo belong to the Reid family, but the coincidence of the link Scotland-Madeira just excited my
    imagination...
    I know it is stupid, but I would love to know if you got any new information about this subject, and if there is any chance the photo could be related to it.

PS- The picture shows 13 people: 7 women, 5 men and a boy. They wear smart clothes and carry flowers. I am not sure, but I think some of them carry the traditional Jewish hat (sorry for my lack of vocabulary). I would say they come from some kind of religious ceremony or so...
  • I was just online searching into more information about the Sardinha Family and came across this site. Though I see it started with the Reid Family Tree. My grandfather and grandmother were both borned in Madeira Funchal. They later migrated to Venezuela where my father was born. I've always been curious to know how far I could trace the Sardinha. If anyone know a bit more about this, please feel free to e-mail me. Thanks a lot!
  • I'm 99% sure that William Reid who had the dream of Reid's Hotel was the brother of my gt gt uncle's wife - a bit far removed I know! As well as family folklore, the Reids of Madeira sent flowers when people in my gt gt uncle's family died. Also, a second cousin in this family worked as an assistant manager at Reid's Hotel.
    So I'm looking to put a bit more flesh on the bones. Any Reids out there with connections to Madeira, please reply.
  • Does anyone from Madeira have any information on Frank and Robert Wilkinson who were businessmen in the mid 1800's. There were Wilkinsons who were Drapers in 1860 in Madeira. James Wilkinson Married Sofia De Freitas Lomelino. I would love to learn about my family from Madeira. There ws also a Charlotte White from Cadiz who married a Wilkinson. Any leads would be very useful.

Alguém da Madeira tem alguma informação sobre Robert e Frank Wilkinson são executivos em meados dos anos 1800. Havia Wilkinsons que foram Drapers na Madeira in1860. James Wilkinson Casado com Sofia Freitas Lomelino. Gostaria muito de saber sobre a minha família a partir da Madeira. Houve também um branco Charlotte de Cadiz, que se casou com uma Wilkinson. Alguma pista seria muito útil.
  • You can see a brief detail of some of the wilkinsons of Madeira.

http://alwardle.web.officelive.com/
  • Wilkwilkinson_man Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Does anyone from Madeira have any information on
    > Frank and Robert Wilkinson who were businessmen in
    > the mid 1800's. There were Wilkinsons who were
    > Drapers in 1860 in Madeira. James Wilkinson
    > Married Sofia De Freitas Lomelino. I would love to
    > learn about my family from Madeira. There ws also
    > a Charlotte White from Cadiz who married a
    > Wilkinson. Any leads would be very useful.
    >
    > Alguém da Madeira tem alguma informação sobre
    > Robert e Frank Wilkinson são executivos em meados
    > dos anos 1800. Havia Wilkinsons que foram Drapers
    > na Madeira in1860. James Wilkinson Casado com
    > Sofia Freitas Lomelino. Gostaria muito de saber
    > sobre a minha família a partir da Madeira. Houve
    > também um branco Charlotte de Cadiz, que se casou
    > com uma Wilkinson. Alguma pista seria muito útil.
  • Does your family know of any British Wilkinsons that lived in Madeira in the 1800-1900's.