Looking for Gomes family

edited December 1969 in Family and Friends
I am looking for my roots.My grandfather Henry Gomes was born to immigrants from Madeira Island. Henry married Mercedes Ribeiros and his name must have changed to Gomex.Could someone tell me about the Gomes family in Madeira.ThanksSharon

Comments

• There are several families by the surname Gomes in Madeira, I'm one of such, originated from the parish of SAO VICENTE I have family in Brazil, South Africa and other countries including UK where I have started my own.
    I think that this is a long shot as you haven't privided much information such as original parish,and dates.
    I wish you the best of luck is your search, and who knows we may actualy be related.
    Best wishes
    Paulo Gomes
  • Paulo:My real name is Gomez. From other websites I understand that this name originated in Spain.I am not Gomes, but Gomez. The name did not originate in Madeira, but in Spain, therefore I have no "parish" etc.It leads me to believe that all Gomes are in fact Gomez originally. The name was changed once they lived in Portugal. But the origin is in Spain. I am only interested in the origin.I did find out about the Portuguese exile from Madeira to Trinidad. So I understand why my ancestors ended up in the Caribbean island. Why leave a beautiful island for another one? They fled for their lives from religious persecution.I would be happy to hear of your origin, parish etc.ThanksSharon
  • Well as I saw the Gomes with an S I thought that that's what you were looking for, I was originaly born in Angola, a Portuguese Colony as u may be awere, however my mother was from Madeira, from the parish of Sao Vicente and I tend to associate my roots with such due to the fact that when I left Angola I was only 8 or 9 years old.
    As a matter of fact the family is spending xmas in madeira and new year this year for the first time since everybody emigrated, which should be quite nice.If u what to contact me a gain please fell free to contact me through the e-mail.
    Good luck on your search.
    Paulo
  • Hi,

I live in trinidad , my great grandparents were from madeira island and they migrated to trinidad.

My great grandfather's name was Manuel Gomes Pestana (father)
    My great grandmother's name was Rosa Caudido
    My grandfather's name was Louis Gomes Pestana(son, born 1891)

Could there be a connection?
  • Dear friend Jamie,

Have you had any success in locating the Gomes family in Madiera yet?

My grandfather -- Louis Viera Gomes was born on Madiera Island on Oct 10th, 1870. He relocated his immediate family to Somerville, MA in the USA and this must have been just after the turn of the century- early 1900's. I have a daughter in her mid 30's who is interested in going to Madiera to search for connections to family there very soon. My grandfather had brothers (all Gomes) that remained in Madiera so I feel that family ties in this time would be limited to his brothers off-spring. It would be helpful to make contact with them if possible.

Can you be of any assistance to me or know of anyone who could be? I would be very grateful for any light you can shed on this for me.

Thank you so very much,

Crystaqueous
    Crys for short
  • Dear friend Sharon,

Have you had any success in locating the Gomes family in Madiera yet?

My grandfather -- Louis Viera Gomes was born on Madiera Island on Oct 10th, 1870. He relocated his immediate family to Somerville, MA in the USA and this must have been just after the turn of the century- early 1900's. I have a daughter in her mid 30's who is interested in going to Madiera to search for connections to family there very soon. My grandfather had brothers (all Gomes) that remained in Madiera so I feel that family ties in this time would be limited to his brothers off-spring. It would be helpful to make contact with them if possible.

Can you be of any assistance to me or know of anyone who could be? I would be very grateful for any light you can shed on this for me.

Thank you so very much,

Crystaqueous
    Crys for short
  • Hi Sharon,
    My grandfather was Luiz Francisco Gomes, my Grandmother was Maria Correia Gomes. They lived in Raposeira. I dont know if Luiz had brothers, would be interesting to find out. I live in South Africa. mail me, maybe was can gather info and take it from there...mariajardim3@gmail.com
  • Gomes is such a common surname I doubt you all are closely related....