DE CAIRES FAMILY TREE

edited December 1969 in Family and Friends
IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ON THE DE CAIRES FAMLIY HISTORY, OR IS WORKING ON THE FAMILY TREE, PLEASE DROP ME A LINE, I'D BE MOST INTERESTED IN HELPING OUT OR GATHERING ANY INFORMATION YOU MIGHT HAVE. THANKS.

Comments

• I am also trying to piece together a family tree. If you have any info drop me a line.
  • Hello Peter!!Just dropping you a line, responding to your message, even though its pretty late.My father is Manuel Pereira DeCaires, and was born in Canico, Madeira to Jose Joao DeCaires and Graca Pereira.You can e-mail me if you want to chat about it, and if your family is related to mine somehow.I'm in Toronto, Canada, but lived in Madeira when I was young.Please feel free to drop me a line, any info is appreciated.Thanks!
  • Peter and Emanuela, as i was checking the site, i could not help but stop and focus on the subject matter of your names, and then when mentioned that some of your reltives are from canico, "bang" that did it. My dad Ricardo Caires Nobrega was born to the Caires/Nobrega household. My grandmother was a Caires from Canico. I have been to Madeira 3 or 4 times and researched my grandfathers side, but not my grandmothers side. Hope to do that later this year or next. Please post what you find, its rather exciting. I even have the coat of arms from the nobrega side and have had them made into full size flags, as i am in the advertising business. Good Luck, ill keep you posted.
  • Peter and Emanuela, as i was checking the site, i could not help but stop and focus on the subject matter of your names, and then when mentioned that some of your reltives are from canico, "bang" that did it. My dad Ricardo Caires Nobrega was born to the Caires/Nobrega household. My grandmother was a Caires from Canico. I have been to Madeira 3 or 4 times and researched my grandfathers side, but not my grandmothers side. Hope to do that later this year or next. Please post what you find, its rather exciting. I even have the coat of arms from the nobrega side and have had them made into full size flags, as i am in the advertising business. Good Luck, ill keep you posted.RICARDO CAIRES NOBREGA
  • Ola Ricardo!I don't know where you are living - I assume the U.S., - I myself grew up in Madeira, and I have the Caires coat-of-arms. Apparently, as far as I got to know, the Caires' date back to the 1400's in France when an Elizabeth Caires was married. The family moved to Spain, and eventually to Portugal (over time of course)and then settled in the new island of Madeira. The original name of course is DeCaires, but the "De" is being dropped off everywhere. My grandfather was Joao Jose DeCaires and he grew up in Canico and lived in Brazil - where he eventually died. I never spoke with him, and so much of the family history I could have gotten from him is now gone forever. If you ever find anything - let me know.As for the Nobregas, my dad Manuela Pereira DeCaires new them in Canico, I should ask him if he has any information that could be interesting to you.All the best, and thanks for replying to my message!!!
    Tchao!
  • I hope you have rec.y e mail by now, and i not please post if there are any problems with me getting through. Thank you Ricardo Caires Nobrega
  • Emanuela,just as a precaution that you did not receive my second e mail of 2/22/2000 i decided to do another post in hopes of getting together, as i am rather interested in the Caires Coat Of Arms, and where you got it. We may have some interesting info to exchange?
  • Hello:
    My mothers name was Adelaide Coelho from Canico, Madeira. As I researched back I find the the Caires and Nobrega families both married with Coelho's in Canico. If you could send me information on your Caires or Nobrega lines I will see if there is any connection.
    James Andrade
  • Sou brasileira e procuro parentes com sobrrenome Caires. O meu avô nasceu em Madeira e se chamava Manoel de Caires. Existem parentes morando na França e quando ele foi à Portugal que já faz muitos anos havia muitos parentes ainda lá. Ele já é falecido por isso eu não tenho mais informações. Me responda por favor o email é domeu filho e eu adoraria conhecer algum parente ou corresponder em qulaquer parte de mundo. Um abraço.
  • Do any of you guys have any relation to the DeCaires family from Canico that relocated to the Hawaiian Islands in the 1870's. My Great Grandfather was Manuel DeCaires from Papakolea Oahu. I am trying to locate my family origins in relation to Portugal. Anyone with info or help would much be appreciated. Much Alohas to all DeCaires's and Much aloha for help.
    Kawika DeCaires
  • Well i live in Essex which is in England, my dad gabriel nobrega caires was raised in gaula in Madeira, which is where my name comes into my name, Peter Gabriel Ornelas Caires. My mum came from camara de lobos which is also in madeira, they both came here to england as well as some other family members on my dad's side. My family is very huge and you may even be a long lost cousin or distant relative, email me if you want.

• Hi

My name is Norberto de Caires

I live in France but was born at Madeira

I m looking for some family who live in Brasil . Two of my oncles are in Brasil but i never meet them.

Thanks for any reply
  • I don't know if this will be much help but my great-grandmother was Leonara de Caires Martines. She was originally from Madeira so I'm told but came to the Hawaiian islands (then called the Sandwich Islands apparently) by ship when she was about two years old. She lived on the Big Island--I think her whole life. She married my great-grandfather ------- Martines and had 13 children. She died at 91 in Papaikou near Hilo over 30 years ago. I believe many of my distant relatives are still on the Big Island and scattered about the islands--my grandmother married a military man and moved to the mainland when she was about 21 years old. Her name was Anita Martines then Annette Dicks, then Annette Goddard. One other family name I'm aware of is Pacheco. I know one of my grandmother's brothers was a big labor union organizer.
    I'd be very curious to learn more and to see the Caires coat of arms if anyone has anymore information about the de Caires from Madeira. Were they royalty? My grandmother told me (before she died) that my great grandmother was very, very interested in royalty and read up on a number of royal families when my grandmother was a young girl. Don't know how this relates, but it's what I remember.

Thanks,
    Kimberly de Caires
  • Hi Kimberly,

You won't remember me, but I remember you. I am your mom's cousin Beverly. My mom, your aunt Vicky, was your grandmother Annette's sister.

Cousin Jacob's son Jason found your message on the internet. I wanted to connect with you to hopefully fill in some of the blanks for you........as best I can.

I am now living on the Big Island of Hawaii. Jacob lives here also and he and his wife live and own the home in Papaikou that your great-grandparents owned.

Jacob knows a lot about the family, and would probably be happy to talk to you.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Aloha,
    Bev
  • I am trying to research my family name. I know my paternal grandfather was born in Maderia. His name was Joseph De Caires. I have his birthdate as March 8, 1895. When he came to America, he settled in Peabody, Massachusetts with his wife Mary Thomas. He dropped the "De" from our name. They had several children and the names I know are; Bernard P., Leonard F.(my father), Franklin G., Armando J., Theresa and Lita. Our family knows very little and I was elated to find this site after some research on the net. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • I too am of De Caires desent, My Grandfather was Joseph De Caires born march 8th 1895. He married Mary Thomas and came to America, got rid of the De in the name and settled in Mass. Do you have a copy of the coat of arms? I cannot find it anywhere and am interested in my heritage but I have nothing to go on. any suggestions? My family is getting smaller year by year and I have no one to ask anymore.
    thanks
    Penny
  • Hi,

My great grand father was Manoel de Caires b abt 1850 d abt 1910 he lived in then British Guiana now Guyana.
    I don't know if he was born in B.G. or in Madeira?
    He married Leopoldina D'Andrade in 1850 she died 23rd June 1921 she was 75 years old.
    I would like any information about him and his family and how they came to British Guiana and his life there and where he was from in Madeira.
    Also about great grandmother Leopoldina D'Andrade and how her family came to British Guiana.
    He had a brother Joseph S. deCaires b 1880 who went to Venezuela. Does anyone know of Joseph's life in Venezuela?

Thanks so much Maggie.
  • Hi,

Looking for information on Manoel de Caires b abt 1850 d abt 1910 he lived in then British Guiana now Guyana.
    I don't know if he was born in B.G. or in Madeira?
    He married Leopoldina D'Andrade in 1850 she died 23rd June 1921 she was 75 years old.
    I would like any information about him and his family and how they came to British Guiana and his life there and where he was from in Madeira.
    Also about his wife Leopoldina D'Andrade and how her family came to British Guiana.
    His brother Joseph S. deCaires b 1880 in Guyana about the 1900's went to Venezuela. Does anyone know of Joseph's life in Venezuela?

Thanks so much Maggie.
  • Hi, I just discovered in my mom's safety deposit box a letter from the 1930s inquiring about my great-grandfather in Hawaii. It mentioned that my mom's grandfather was born in 1883 and was a DeCaires. Somewhere along the way his name got misspelled as Dekidos. His first name was Domingo. According to my mom he was brought to California as a small boy to live with his older sister. His father returned to Hawaii and that was the last anyone saw of him. My mother is unable to recall any other details about his family except that they definitely were from Madeira originally. Can anyone shed any light on this matter? I think it quite possible I have some relatives in Hawaii that have been lost to follow-up for over a century.

Am curious.

Doug
  • aye... my name is Matthew de Caires (from Trinidad & Tobago)
    my grandfather came from madeira when he was very young i believe he had one or two brothers... his name is joseph de caires. I will however find out his father's name and some more information asap.
    Also could someone send me a picture of this coat of arms... i would really like to see
  • I am looking descendants of Joseph Phelps, b.24.9.1791 Fegueria,Madeira, m 17.8.1819 Elizabeth Dickinson, b.18.11.1795.

They have 11 sons.The eldest Elizabetn Phelps,spinster, she was created the Madeira Embroideries.

I need to know Charles Phelps, wife's name, one of the sons, the eighth, b.1833,Madeira +1911 England.

He was a Portuguese woman and she is Maria Antónia.I don't know the surname.They are no children.

I need the surname of this Maria Antónia

Thank you for any information

MJOOM
  • Hi,

I am also a de Caires trying to trace my Portuguese roots. My grandfather whose name was Jose Gomes de Caires came from Madeira between the late 1800's and early 1900's. He came to an island in the West Indies called Trinidad and settled there. As typical Portuguese of that time he went into business and owned a bar plus agricultural lands. He sent for his nephews from Madeira to come to Trinidad and learnt English. Form what my father told me one was called Jose as well. I was also told that some of my grandfather's family lived in South Africa and Brazil as well and some migrated to Boston. As far as I know I still have family living in Madeira.

For further information there are also de Caires' living in Guyana and Barbados.
    The past editor of the Starbroek News in Guyana was Peter de Caires. There are also other de Caires living in Trinidad. They live in the capital city Port of Spain.

Regards,

Donna
  • Hola estoy buscando a mi abuelo o su familia, Joao De Caires Había llegado dela isla de Madeira a Curazao, y luego a Venezuela. Yo sé que él tiene un hermano en Venezuela, No me acuerdo, pero todavía estoy en buscando por más información.
  • My name is Cricket Caires and would like to find information out my Grand Father.
    His name was Venture Caires and I think he was born on Maderia Island ? He was born July 14, 1904 and lived in Oakland, California until his death in Oct. 1984.
    Can someone tell me how I could find information please ?
  • I am the grt grandson of Francisco Joao de Vasconcellos, who was born in Faja da Ovelha, Madeira 8Apr1848, was a foundling on the doorstep of and raised by Florencio de Ponte of Arco da Calheta.

He married Maria Rose de Caires of Arco 18Jan1873. Maria was 1 of 5 children: Maria born 10Jun1855, Manuel born 2Jun1857, Carolina born 4MAay1860, Constatina born 10May1862, Joao born 14May 1864, all born in Arco.

Francisco/Maria's 1st-born Joao is my grandfather, born 30Oct1875 in Arco. Maria died in childbirth with their 3rd child 10Aug1882. Francisco married her sister Carolina about 1 month later. Their first-born Francisco Joaquim was born 8Aug1883 in Arco.

Francisco, Carolina with 3 children left Madeira 23Nov1885 on the ship Sterlingshire for Hawaii, arriving 2Mar1886. A son Manuel was born 23Jan1886 during the trip. They lived in Kahului, Maui and had 5 more children.

My father, John, was born in Kahului 19Oct1901. Joao moved his family of 10 children to Santa Clara, CA between 1918-1923. I am John's 2nd-born, 26Feb1937, and live near San Francisco, CA.

Any Caires or Vasconcellos that can connect with above family names/dates, pls contact me.

Also, any ideas of any possible connection to the present Conde de Calheta, Vasconcellos??? Any contact info???
  • Hello

My name is Aleena DeCaires, I live in New York and I do not know very much about my grandfather. His name is John DeCaires and he is from Madeira, he settled in Guyana and passed their as well. He passed away at a very young age my father was about 7 at the time of his death so he doesnt remember very much plus my grandfathers past was a secret. He probably died around 1960 and that would put him at round fiftyish. It would be very much appreciated if anyone knows of any family secrets about an uncle or nephew or any relative by the name of John DeCaires that migrated to Guyana.

Thank You
    Aleena
  • I was told by my father(Alvin De Caires), that the "De Caires" migrated from Egypt to the Madieran Islamd sometime in the year 400A.D. and the name De Caires descibes where we came from "mouth of the nile"(caries or caires meaning mouth),or a play on the name Cairo , the city in Egypt.The next migration of the De Caires took place in the very late 1800 to about 1930 to the island of Trinidad and also to Guyana.My grand father owned and operated a dry goods shop and bar at CROSS CROSSING < SAN FERNANDO,TRINIDAD. Our name is well known and very much respected both in the major cities of Trinidad namely PORT OF SPAIN and SAN FERNANDO. MY grand fathers cousin ANTONIO De Caires was the President of THE PORTUGESE ASSOCIATION in TRININDAD in 1920's , you can view his name on the bronze wall plack at the Asssociation ,DUNDONALD St. PORT OF SPAIN ,TRINIDAD.This is some of what was passed on to me and i passed it on to my kids.
  • Hey cousin , your dad and mine were/are brothers, we used to attend the same church. Christ The KINg RC , LES EFFORTES< San FERNANDO. I was an acolyte there and you were in the youth group. Your brothers RICHARD and ROGER, went to SAn FERNANDO BOY'S GOV't SCHOOL with my brothers RAYMOND AND RICHARD and myself. If memory serves me you attended ST JOSEPH CONVENT < SAN FERNANDO.
  • This is Donna de Caires-Glenn here...my other account is not working so I'm speaking through this one instead. I am trying to contact a user called "phrost". I received a message from him/her dated April 17th 2010. If you see this post can you please contact me?
  • That would be me. You can private message me by clicking on my name...