Seeking relatives (Alves) in Santa Cruz, Madeira

edited December 1969 in Family and Friends
Hello all,

I am trying to trace some family roots in Madeira - Trinidad.

My grandfather from father's side was Fernando Alves Junior, born on 27th of February 1903 in the village of Santa Cruz, Madeira.

He later migrated to Trinidad, West Indies where he also died. The last time I know he had visited relatives in Madeira was in 1958. He was married in Trinidad to Clarice de Souza (portugese ancestry but born in Trinidad in Caripichaima in 1914). He had apparently two brothers (and possibly 1 sister) who stayed in Madeira. The family had land they cultivated.

Fernando Alves had 9 children - My father is Stephen Alves, now living in Florida, USA.

I know most of the Trinidad relatives but nobody from Madeira.

Sincerely,

Susan

Comments

• Hi Susan,
    Just seen your message. Have you had many helpful replies?
    I am thinking of doing the same in search of my ancestral cousins if at all possible. I think my great grandfather's family was from Camara de Lobos on Madeira. The family name DaCosta is quite popular as it crops up in most of the islands, but I am from St.Vincent.
    Any tips of searches would be most appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rose
  • Hi Rose,

Sorry to say I haven't gotten replies really. I guess the language is a bit of a barrier, maybe I would have better luck in portugese.

Susan
  • Are rose da costa, sister"s name angela, from st vincent?
  • Did you have any success on your search? I do have a good friend from Santa Cruz who is surnamed Alves. They are quite a big family and perhaps if you give some more details he could try to scatter his family.

Regards,
    Evandro