Madeira airport

edited December 1969 in Holidays
I visited Madeira last year and i enjoyed it that much that I am comming back this year in may to Madeira. I was very impressed by the landing on the short landingstroke. I was told that the landing raod will be made longer and that the works will be finished in 2000. I would like to know if the short landingstroke is still in use in may 2000.Thanks,
-francis-

Comments

• The extension of the runway is not yet complete, and I think that it will not be completed until the end of the year. So if you are planning to come to Madeira in May you will be using the short runway.
  • next to the old hong kong airport madeira is certainly a short runway just like langing and taking of aa aircraft carrier (interesting)
  • Is the new Airport open yet?
  • The non-stop schedule flight time from Madeira Airport (FNC) to London Gatwick (LGW) will vary from 3 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours and 40 minutes depending on the airlines of your choice.

TAP Air Portugal flight TP348 has the fastest flight time of 3 hours and 30 minutes. The flight operates everyday except Sunday.

GB Airways flight BA6873 has a total flight time of 3 hours and 40 minutes. GB Airways operates the flight on behalf of British Airways. This flight operates everyday except Sunday and Wednesday. They also have BA6875 that operates on Monday and Wednesday with same flight time at BA6873.
  • Did they ever expand the airport in Madeira? I was there about 30 years ago and the airport back then was little more than a landing strip. Next summer I plan on returning and was wondering how much the airport has grown over the last 30 years?

yes - they did with plenty of EU money.
    Now you can start and land even with Boeing747 - but none does ;-)

see: http://www.anam.pt/

Regards
    Anton
  • Great Britain Airways has not flown into Madeira for several years, their flight slot was taken by EasyJet