Congratulations Portugal!

edited December 1969 in General
Portugal defeated England in the 2006 World Cup quarter finals. Below is a picture of Cristiano Ronaldo who scored the final penalty.

Comments

• Cristiano Ronaldo is a cheat!
  • and he's gay
  • Shame on you for trying to be derogatory..., and the things u said before the game too! There were some horrible accusations made by the tabloid press against the Portuguese. (Won't reproduce their comments here).

However, there was this humorous and mildly inflammatory advert that MasterCard put in "The Times" newspaper on Saturday 1st July. It is one of my favourite adverts. See the attachment (click on the link below).

Actually, the ad should read:

ST. GEORGE FALLING ON OWN SWORD AFTER STOMPING ON COCK:
    PRICELESS
  • Ronaldo is not a cheat and gay or not it's his personal choice, the argument here is about football and he is a great player and i am sure a lot of people envy him for that, it was a fair game for both teams by ending it with penalties, england had the oportunity to win, all about team work and good football skills,some lose some win it's also part of the sport, why don't we just live it to the experts to judge of any wrong doings and as far i am concerned the live tv coverage was enough for any one to see what really happened on the pitch, so england fans stop findind excuses and accusing other parties just because england lost the world cup!

Best of luck for the portuguese team tomorrow and may the best team win!

You are all great to come this far...
  • Let's get real here! He had the temerity to wink at his coach after his aim of getting his Man Utd team mate sent off had been achieved! That is not sport! He is without doubt a cheat!
  • he's intent was not to show his skill (regardless if he has some or not, his intent was to cheat and get a friend and team mate sent off and then try to go on and win the game) they did win the game on penalties but not in open play with 11 men and no skill either from the cheat.if your defination of skill is the irish jig that he does then you are sad.and you also forget thatif he loves portugal so much why does ha want to play for real madrid ni spain ???????
  • and just for the record i am not a england fan, i am just honest and i ahte cheats
  • We could be here and argue all night but i am not going to,I may not be an expert in football but one does not have to be very clever to assess the last game between england and portugal,the whole footage was viewed in public with live tv cameras, no cheats and no hidden bits and with good professional referee, the same goes for the last european game where england lost portugal, and so much was said yet again that england was cheated and robbed, so it's an old record that plays over and over again with the england fans, enough in enough of blaming always someone else!
    As for having to live his home country, it's his personal choice, i am an expat myself and sometimes you have to go where the jobs or lifestyle that suits you and your family takes you and for the record i am not residing in the uk.
  • On reflection,England were/are simply not good enough to progress further than they have done.As usual,the English press hoisted them to a pinnacle well above their capability.At no time during the competition did they show the skill,teamwork or technical level required to win a world cup.Portugal have,and that`s why they`re in the semis and the England team are at home-although that too is doubtful!! With the glorified wages they get they are no doubt all sat on the beach by now!!! And i bet they havnt gone to Madeira !!
  • I agree that England were not quite good enough! They have many talented players but the manager could not inspire them as a team!
    The point I am trying to make is that Ronaldo - who has also had a poor world cup - is a cheat! Everyone who is passionate about sport hate cheats!
    I doubt he will play for Man Utd again, as he is just a show pony and contributes little to his team! Perhaps he should consider going back to Nacional?
  • The English are just bad loosers. You lost because Portugal was better not because of Ronaldo. England only defeated Portugal on 1966!
  • Goodbye Portugal! Goodbye Ronaldo! Good riddance!
  • Not quite! Still one game to go with germany!!! What a great game and despite losing to the penaltie there were no apparent blames or hard feelings on the pitch!!!! Now,
    that's what you call civilized sports man!!! I truly enjoyed the game and well done for the portuguese players to have come this far!
  • Davey boy,

Have you ever actually watched Ronaldo play. If so, you will know that when receiving instructions from the bench it is his habit to acknowledge this by winking rather than nodding his head.

He is not a cheat, he is an excellent player and a credit to Madeira and Portugal.

Davey, if by any chance you are in Madeira............GO HOME.

kebab
  • Well it was there for all to see yet again last night Kebab old son!

Perhaps he should consider a career as a diver!

Cheats do not prosper I am pleased to say!
  • Dave, Just out of interest, if Ronaldo is the devil incarnate you appear to believe, why as reported is Ferguson fighting so hard to keep him in his team, and why do clubs like Real Madrid even show an interest in him. I suppose is because the people in question are total idiots even though they control two of the richest clubs in the world and along with Mourinho could buy and have probably the best players in their squads. Please show us on the forum your C.V. which obviously would put these idiots to shame or is Erikson your pseodonym
  • I thought this forum gave us all an opportunity to discuss our opinions with relatively intelligent people! I said and I quote that Ronaldo was a cheat! I stand by this! Even the French fans were booing him during the semi-final!
    I never said he was "the devil incarnate"! He is a talented athlete, but his tendencies towards gamesmanship are a huge flaw in his game! This play-acting during the worlds greatest tournament has been a great disappointment to all lovers of the beautiful game! The Germany v Italy semi-final was a proper game of football, with 2 sides committed to winning by skill and organisation!
    Enough of this jingoistic nonsense!
  • An englishman is the last person to call anyone else "jingoistic".

Now, as you can see, Cristiano is a local boy and we support him. I suggest if you want to discuss football you join a football newsgroup and don't clutter up the Madeira forum with your bile about Cristiano.

Kebab
  • Jingoistic-As an ardent English supporter, being English,living in England I feel offended by the use of the word.At the end of the day, diver or not, in your words Christiano is a talented player as seen by the sports writers of the Daily Telegraph who chose him as portuguese man of the match in the French game. In the same report Henri is said to have gained a penalty with a tap,feather light but will receive a hero's welcome for. In the year where his father died at a very young age,with the help of tabloid english press was wrongly front paged as a rapist he is portrayed as a cheat when after all if a player of his own age namely Rooney had not fouled in the first instance this debacle would not exist. Jingoistic maybe if you are Portuguese but unfair if you are any other nationality. Perhaps we should remember Beckham when he was hung drawn and quartered or should we look at people like Maradonna, Robbens or even Roy Keanes book before we become holier than thou.I respect any persons viewpoint to any sport but would prefer to err on the side of fairness to all not the current witch-hunt in which Christiano Ronaldo is being subjected to.
  • Thank goodness for Cristiano Ronaldo, it's all his fault.
    Last time we had a Swiss referee to blame and the time before that we couldn't blame a bloody foreigner, so we had to blame Beckham.
    There seems to be a pattern here. We never lose because the squad and tactics are crap. It's always someone else's fault.
    HOW SAD IS THAT?
  • DAVE,TALKING ABOUT FAIRPLAY WHEN ROONEY IS A VERY GOOD EXAMPLE, 3 RED CARDS IN INTERNATIONAL GAMES, LEAVE RONALDO ALONE YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY BETTER YOU PEOPLE ARE BAD LOSERS JUST LOOK AT THE SITE (IHATERONALDO)IT IS A DISGRACE THAT SPORTS PEOPLE IN ENGLAND CAN GO SO LOW, I ALWAYS SUPPORT ENGLISH FOOTBALL ,BUT I HAVE TO CONSIDER MY CHOICES IN FUTURE REGARDING ENGLISH SPORT, HAVE A LOOK AT A SITE WWW.IHATEROONEY, TO SEE HOW IT FEELS LIKE.
  • Thanks joe.f

Please Dave, YOU SHOULD HAVE A LOOK AT THIS WEBSITE,MIGHT HELP YOU COME TO YOUR SENSES ONES AND FOR ALL!!!!

www.ihaterooney.co.uk

happy browsing...
  • Dave, Either that or watch the final and see the kind of "diving" Zidane did as a retirement gesture to the fair play of football AND YOU KNOCK RONALDO
  • Yes, where is he now, not shouting much.

Incidentally, the Italian Goalkeep ran up to the ref and did the same as Ronaldo did, is anyone calling him and setting up hate sites or anything....no I don't think so.

Long may Ronaldo reign, whichever club he chooses to play for.

Kebab
  • Oh dear Kebab first jingoism, then xenophobia, now disingenuity! Make up your mind! You say I should not clutter up the site with my comments, then ask where I am?
    Don, nobody can condone what Zidane did in the final, but mentioning Ronaldo in the same breath is taking it too far!
    I'm all for keeping this debate going. I'm having fun, but you must remember that I'm entitled to my opinion!
  • Yes, you are entitled to your opinion but why don't you take it elsewhere. We really are not interested.

Kebab
  • Dave, I smile sitting here in a little known place of acedemia called Cambridge (UK) wondering why on a Madeiran website words the like of jingoism, xenophobia, and disingenuity are being used, when maybe short of the Times Crossword are uncommonly used in the UK. I can only conclude, having lived in the island for two decades or so, where most English dictionaries are for translation purposes only, not for degree level English language that you perhaps you are suffering from either a problem with fair play, egocentrism, or just trying to cheat a little. This, I say with respect to my many friends in Madeira who did not have the luxury of University education until recent years. I applaud your opposition, Kebab etc where their loyalties are based on genuine appreciation of the fine points not on excuses to criticise. On second thoughts perhaps you should try to be known on Countdown (sorry you would have to restrict the amount of letters in your big words) as opposed to family sized island like Madeira websites.
  • Don

you are patronising little shit, there you go i bet they didnt do that in cambridge!
  • Don I use those words as this site is predominantly in English! Portgeezer is spot on your last posting was patronising! I was trying to have a bit of fun but you guys seem incapable of doing that!
    Good 'un Portgeezer!
  • Patronising or not, my opinion probably is general in the 200,000 or so population of Madeira. Regards Sr Portgeezer-I notice this is your first posting with $%^**( or so, hopefully your last)