Serena, Vieira, De'Abreu, Caldeira

edited December 1969 in Family and Friends
Hi, my name is Marcia and I live in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. I am currently researching my maternal lineage. My great-grandfather was Marcial/Marsial/Marceal Vieira Serena and my great-grandmother was Maria Clara (Caldaria/Calderia/Caldeira) and we think that her maiden name was De'Abreu. Marcial Vieira Serena was born on the 23rd October 1900 and died on the 27th March 1959 at the age of 58 years. Tnd the only information which I have for him, according to the Death Notice which I found in the archives in South Africa is that he was born in Madeira. His father's name is listed as Antonio and his mother's name as Maria (also on the Death Notice - which I have been informed may not always be correct information). My great-grandmother, Maria Clara was born on the 18th August 1905 and died on the 1st January 1985. According to the stories my great-grandmother used to tell her grand-children (of which my mother was one), she was also born in Madeira. The one story she told them was that as a young girl in Madeira, her step-mother used to make her do all the housework, washing, etc. and she used to fall asleep. The milkman used to them wake her up at about 4:00 a.m. I have no information as to which concelhos and freguesias either of them were born in. My great-grandmother's mother may have been Mathilde De'Abreu - she apparently died whilst my great-grandmother was a young girl, and her father re-married. My great-grandparents migrated to South Africa - I have no idea whether my great-grandparents came out to South Africa together or whether my great-grandmother left as a young girl with her father and step-mother. Marcial and Maria were married in Benoni (the then Transvaal, now Gauteng) - I am not certain what year they married in but I can only guess that it may have been between 1924-1926 as their first-born son, Adelino Serena, was born about 1926, deceased 27 November 2004. They thereafter had more children, Luiz Jose Vieira Serena born 8 November 1928, deceased 7 December 2003), Marie Loudres Serena born circa 1931 (she was born with Downs Syndrome and died at the age of 17 years in 1948), Cecilia Serena born circa 1932 (still living), Theresa Maria Serena born 14 August 1934, deceased April 2005, Angelina Clara Serena (my maternal grandmother) born 6 August 1936, deceased 20 August 1990, Deloures Serena born 9 February 1939, deceased 16 September 1994, Beatrice Serena born 14 March 1942 (still living), Lawrence Serena born circa 1943 (he died as an infant at the age of 6 months in December 1943) and Antonio Serena born circa 1945 (still living). Maria Clara also had a brother (perhaps a bit older than her) whose name my mom cannot recall, but thinks it may have been Fernando or something to that effect. He settled in Lourenco Marques (now Maputo), Mocambique and had a hotel there called "The Lido". I have been unable so far to obtain birth certificates for either of my great-grandparents, due to the fact that I cannot establish exactly where they were born. The one plus factor, I guess, is that I have been informed that "Serena" is quite an unusual Portuguese surname (could this perhaps have been a name that was just taken on by him, or his mother's "first name"???? I wonder!!! The plot thickens!). There are apparently Serena's listed in the Portuguese telephone directory but I don't have access to address, e-mails, etc in order for me to contact them. If anybody recognises any of the names which I have listed above or knows any information whatsoever, please could they contact me. It would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail address is roland1@wol.co.za. God Bless All and thank you! Regards, Marcia Bezuidenhout