1860 "Verdelho" Vintage 1860 Madeira

edited December 1969 in Madeira Wine
BOTTLE IN good shape...found in NY BASEMENT POSSIBLE PRESENT FROM ROCKAFELLER FAMILY...ANYONE INTERESTED OR HAVE ESTIMATE INFORMATION? WHERE OR HOW I COULD SELL?

Top Label:
Especially selected for Sherry Wine and Spirits Co. 679 Madison Avenue
Produce of Portugal "Verdelho" Vintage 1860 Madeira
Only 82 bottles in existence, bottle # 57
Bottom Label:
Blandy's Madeiras
LDA FUNZAHL-Madeird
1 pt, 9 fluid ounces
21% alcohol by volume

Comments

• ANy price info or places i could sell this ?
  • Dear Kito,

Your wine is a rare Madeira. There appears to have been very little production of this variety. I would suggest you contact www.rarewineco.com. I have posted in the Madeira forum that these wines are getting very expensive and as in days past,only the Rockefellers and Duponts can afford to buy up these wines.

Your probably looking at a retail value of 500 Dollars. Mostly because of the rarity of the bottle. #57 of 82 you can well imagine that there are very few of these bottles left.

If you were so inclined you could drink it as a once in a life time experience. It should be very nice! It should have a dark, dense amber colour, and be full bodied on the palate. It should warm you to the core. The acidity should be integral to the whole flavour. A complex palate of smokey dryness and fragrant florals and citrus should confound you. The palate should last and leave you feeling satisfied yet wanting all at the same moment. It is an experience that everyone who enjoys wines and spirits should have at least once.

The closest other types of fine fortified alcohol experience would be the very oldest and best Palo Cortado Sherry from Spain, a grand old Vintage Port, or Single Malt Scotches of high caliber (i.e. Macallan, The Glenlivet).

Best Regards and good Luck.
    Karen Lines
  • Hello,

From the pictures I have seen of #57 I would say it bottled in the 1950's. Similar Blandy's labels appeared on the Grabham Collection bottles of 1875 and 1818, 1860 Bual, 1864 Bual and Sercial, and the 1870 Moscatel to name a few and bottled during the 1950's according to the labels.
    Hope this helps.
  • I do have a few pics of the bottle now and I am posting it on sale on EBAY starting at $700... it is also signed by the director
    thanks for all the info...
    Kito