Support for animals on the island

edited December 1969 in Powergirls
Hello Power Girls

First of all my apologies for not attending the last few PG dinners but as you all know that sometimes I am unable to make them due to the pressures of work, however, I will try and get along to the next one and catch up with you all.

I hope you all don't mind but, I have copied and pasted a posting that I put up on the regular forum section to this one in the hope that girlies, you guys can (and some of you do already) look to, supporting some form of organisation that would be beneficial to unwanted animals on the island and also cruelty to animals. I hope you are not offended by the controversial offering I have posted and that if any one feels that they would like to offer support in an animal sanctuary and a society that would offer protection against the cruelty of animals, then please read on.

If when you have read this, feel that you have an opinion or would like to offer some suport there is a lady called Sheila who is going to organise a meeting to discuss this. If you are interested please contact me and I will pass on your contact details.

Re: Madeira's unwanted animals has thousands of stray dogs and cats. Where is the local equivalent of the RSPCA? Would animal-lovers here be interested in getting together to set up such a society to expand the scope of help to unwanted animals, which is........Sheila

Posted by: The Madeira Times (IP Logged)
Date: February 01, 2007 12:26AM

Dear readers of this thread

With what has happened to me regarding my own personal life with my pets and the devastating consequences of the last 24 hours by reading this I am apealing for your help on behalf of Sheila and NAFS in not only supporting an animal sanctuary but also an education/awareness program.

Not only do we have a problem with stray animals but one of cruelty that it begs belief that in this day and age that human beings can be capable of such acts toward animals AND other peoples loved pets.

I have had many acts of cruelty inflicted on my animals at home since I arrived in Madeira. The first was when I started up the newspaper and someone came to my home and broke in. My dog had just had her first litter of puppies and they were poisoned with some kind of caustic poison. Their deaths were awful and even though our kind freind Dr Doolittle as we call her took on the last remaining puppy and tried to nurse her back to health,she sadly had to be put down or suffer a poor quality of life had she survived long enough. thankfully her mother and my children's best freind,guardian and part of the family survived.

After the devastation of losing the first lot of puppies in such a cruel way we decided to let our dog have a second batch before we had her steralised. We found homes for three of them and decided to keep the forth, the runt of the litter that didn't resemble anything like her mother.

A year later a freind and I rescued a kitten each in a bar in Serra de Agua, for fear of them being trodden on by the locals drinking poncha, the owner was insistant that we gave them homes. I introduced her to our two dogs and the three of them happily co-existed enjoying a large garden and a tranquil life with us in a rural location.

A few months ago, my puppy just a little over a year old was with my fiancee in the top garden,he didn't notice that he had wandered off and mum stayed faithfully by his side. For 4 days we drove around looking for him, and waiting for him to woof at the gate in the expectation that he would come home at night. It wasn't until I eventually went to our local tasca and asked if anyone had seen him to be told without emotion that "no point looking becasue your dog is dead". In shock I managed to ask how and why, to be told that 4 days previously he had been run over, not even as far as 100 yards from my home. All the villagers came out to look and all agreed thatit was my dog BUT NO ONE CAME TO TELL ME!
I was told that they put him in the nearby dumpster because he would smell. And all we had was to go home and greive in disbelief that a neighbourhood that I have lived in for 7 years couldn't be bothered to tell me the sad news. And all his worth was to be dumped in a rubbish bin. He was our pet, loved by the family and they couldn't understand why I was so upset.

Then Last night:

My dog is in our enclosed garden and my fiancee is playing with the cat in the back yard. I sent him down to the tasca for items for dinner. I was on the computer writing emails and he was gone less than 10 minutes. He comes home, unpacks the shopping and walks into the lounge to find the cat - dead. She was still warm when I wrapped her up.
I knew then she had been poisoned and with a torch scoured my garden for the evidence. In the dark with a torch on low battery is like looking for a needle in a haystack and we didn't find anything. So we proceeded to dig a spot under the anonis tree to lay her to rest.

Then the worst and most unexpected:

Whilst digging her grave I said to my fiancee that we should have done this for our puppy and how we didn't have the oportunity. Mum dog was with us all the time but being consumed with the loss of the cat I noticed after a couple of minutes that our dog had was not around. She was lying on the ground foaming at the mouth, then evacuated her bowels and whilst I held her, my partner rang for the vet. She fitted twice and just died, there in my arms.

We were so distraught as there was NOTHING we could do stop it or stop her pain and I am sitting here writing this in total disbeleif that it happened so quickly and to OUR animals and how I could do absolutely nothing. In the space of five minutes she was a happy family companion, running around the garden, taking in what we were doing with our cat and then SHE was DEAD.

The vet told us that the method that is used is to conceal poison in meat, that way both cats and dogs will take the bait. This poison that was used was at pure strength which is why death was so quick in coming and making it to the vet on time would be fruitless.

I am so angry that whoever threw it over my wall with the intention of killing my animals will get away with murder.
I am so angry that we live in a society that when you ask around no one is bothered becasue it happens all the time.
I am so angry that someone chose to decide that yesterday was the day my pets should stop living.
I am so BLOODY angry that I can't voice this in my own paper for fear of political repurcussions. That I have to write NICE things about Madeira and promote it!

I sought legal advise today as to what I can do even though this will not bring my pets back. If I find the pond life that did this they will only get a fine,
THEY should eat what they concocted and then see how it feels to salivate, fit, @#$%& their pants and then be incapacitated to a slow heart beat before death over whelms them.

My children and I rescued our dog five years ago on the beach at Tabua before the Marina was built. A small bar operated from there and I took the kids there for cola and ice cream in the summer on the way home from school. Patch was just 5 weeks old, had been abandoned and someone had tied a shoelace around her neck. My children fell in love with her and begged me to take her home,I said no becasue I thought she belonged to the bar. The bar owner told me she had been dumped on the beach and that they fed her on scraps. I told my children that if she followed us to the car we would take her home and then take her to SPAD the next day. She never reached SPAD as we kept her and she became part of our family.

Please let us get something going with some form of organisation on this island.

SOMETHING has to be done!

Comments

• I agree with what you are saying. Too bad you are not here at 2013. I am very sad how in Madeira many people treat animals, special cats and dogs. In most places in Funchal there are abandoned cats and dogs every where and mostly these animals are sick and full of fleas. At my father's house there is a neihbor (80 years old) who feeds cats who are dumped at her yard by other people almost every time. Somtimes there are 10 cats. These cats become all invested with fleas. When i go there i have to clean my father's yard because the fleas jump there as well. There are people in Madeira who has poor mentality when it comes to understand animals. They should know that these animals suffer by being neglected. They need help with a good home and a clean enviroment. They have the right to have a good life like we do. IF YOU CAN NOT TAKE CARE OF A ANIMAL, THINK, DO NOT GET ONE. HAVE MERCY ON THESE LOVELY CREATURES, THEY SHARE THIS WORLD WITH US. THEY DESERVE RESPECT