Easyjet buys GB Airways - do you have a ticket booked?

Der
edited December 1969 in General
Easyjet have agreed to buy GB Airways, who currently operate the flights between Gatwick and Madeira (under a franchise agreement with British Airways).

It's not clear what impact this will have on flyers already booked or for the future, but best to check I guess. Anyone know?

A big more on the www.madeira4u.com blog & news page

Comments

• I got an email telling me today that Easyjet are buying GB Airways (my flights were booked with BA in England, but they use GB Airways to fly to Funchal), saying:-

You may have heard the news that easyJet has announced its intention to purchase British Airways' franchise carrier, GB Airways and that British Airways will terminate its franchise agreement with GB Airways with effect from March 2008.

All BA flights with a flight number between BA6760 and BA6999 are operated by GB Airways.

We would like to reassure you that flights to all GB Airways destinations will continue to operate normally with the full British Airways service up to and including March 29, 2008. If you have a booking on a GB Airways flight up to and including this date your flight will not be affected.

If you are booked to travel after March 30, 2008, you will be contacted with details of your new flight once easyJet's purchase of GB Airways is complete. We expect this to be in the next eight weeks.

When I tried to cancel my return flight coming back in April, as I do not wish to fly with Easyjet I was advised there would be a £15 cancellation charge!, this I think is wrong then the airline carrier is being changed.
  • I also received a message via the blog http://www.madeira4u.com/blog.html?p=21#comment (thanks!)

"I have flights booked with BA in June next year and I have been sent an email saying flights before 30 march 2008 remain the same but if you are booked to travel after that date" you will be contacted with details of your new flight once easyJet's purchase of GB Airways is complete in the next eight weeks"

Seems crazy that you have to pay a cancellation charge ... but what is it you know about easyjet that makes you want to cancel?
  • You have not changed carrier. You are still going with GB Airways. The fact that Easyjet operate the flight should make no difference. I have flown Easyjet many times and have never had a problem. I am flying with them to Madeira in December. Just make sure you arrive early and you will have a great flight.

Quillinglady Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > When I tried to cancel my return flight coming
    > back in April, as I do not wish to fly with
    > Easyjet I was advised there would be a £15
    > cancellation charge!, this I think is wrong then
    > the airline carrier is being changed.
  • we have just flown back from BRISTOL today with EASYJET .No problems at all,a very smooth flight indeed.As long as continue we shall use them.