WHO DOES UNCLAIMED LAND GO TO??

edited December 1969 in Real Estate
Morning

My parents were from Faja da Ovelha, Madeira and have left many pieces of land in their name. This I know, as I have proof
Of the properties they have left. My brother passed away and I am the only surviving spouse.

I would like to know ::: are these lands automatically shared between the myself and my brother’s family (wife and
2 children) or are these properties automatically owned by myself, the only surviving spouse?? I would like to know
What the Portuguese law says on this matter.

The urgency of the matter is that I am planning to emigrate to Madeira and would like to know this beforehand via email.

Thanking u in advance.

Miguela Correia

Comments

• Land automatically goes 50% to the spouse and the other 50% divided between the children - and so on down the line.
  • Hi Ellen, you seem to know quite abit about property in Madeira. I was wondering whether you could help me and my parents. We have inherited 2/3 of a large plot (1/3 belongs to my mom and 1/3 to my aunt) - the remaining 1/3 belongs to around 6 people which we cannot get hold of. Is there a way that we can split the land up into 3 plots so that everyone can make use of their portion? Not sure if you know of a professional who would be able to give advice on this matter? At the moment the land is just being wasted. There is a large house there but it is slowly falling apart and to be honest, we need the money we could get from selling a plot quite badly at the moment.