WHAT ISN'T THERE IN MADEIRA??

edited December 1969 in General
I am emigrating to Madeira and would like to know what business I could open up there. In other words, what type of businesses do not yet exist there?

I know there is no surfing gear shop....

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me a few suggestions...

Thanx

Comments

• You cannot open a business without a licence from the authorities, there is very little opportunity for surfing, a small amount in Machico and a little in the west but sea not tidal and not too much waves. You will also need to be fluent in Portugese and have a work permit if you come from a non EU country
  • Hi Flowergirl56 I am Portuguese.
  • nao ligues a menina das flores porquepensa que sabe tudo sobre a nossa terra.
    enta la ir e tens uma idea como a madeira perola do atlantico is simply the best place to be.
    cumprimentos e boa sorte
  • to joao ,you love your iland good for you ! my partner is from the iland ,but has lived in england since he was 11, hes 48 now ,hes parents have been back on the iland for 12 years now ,having had a lovely house built in monte ,it has been our dream for the last 11 years to buy a house and settle there,but keep the house we have back in england just in case things didnot work out , but the houses and apartments are very expensive , and we would not really wont to have a mortgage , and we would have to work , he is a panel beater and im a hairdresser and i heard work is not easy to get ,he parents are always looking for work and houses for us ,one day ,you enjoy your pearl
  • Cheap Thai food restaurant is needed in Madeira.
  • Thanx Limbo, I'll add it to my list.

To EVERYONE ELSE please give me a suggestion of what you would like to see, eat, do, buy etc in Madeira = that doesnt yet exist there......
  • migcor54 madeira has it all !! but hey yes lets get real , it is a holiday iland long gone are the bannanas and the sugar , madeira wine is a good export but only for some !we have been looking to move to the il,nd ,my partner having been born there ,ceroc dancing that would go down very well ,if you dont know how to teach it then you will have to come back and take a couse ,and then that will enably you to set out on your own, belive me you wont lookback ,you can go to hotels most of the english people know how to dance and they would like to keep it up on holiday . jac
  • Hi Jac

I am glad you read my topic.

Sorry, what kind of dancing?? .... I did not understand and would appreciate a reply.

A friend of mine in Magdalena Do Mar suggested she would like to attend Latin/American dance classes....

Thanx Jac

Miguela
  • good day to u micor54 , this is the email for ceroc it will show u what its about it is a modern jive , www.ceroc.com i can dance ceroc but im not a teacher of it , and i must say i have not been for a little while now , but it would be great for the iland ,thats if they havent got it already? my partner would like to open a panel beating body shop out there , we will see !. hope that this will be of any help. jac
  • THanz stax Jac. It sounds just stunning and am busy in contact with them.
  • thats great migor54 glad to be of some help , keep me informed hoe u get on ,jac
  • Will do Jac
  • A Kabab shop
  • Sorry Ron... wot do u mean 'Kebab Shop'. In Madeira, it's an espetada.... No? Please let me know so I can add to my list..

Tx stax
    Miguela
  • hi migcor54 how u getting on with starting a bussiness in madeira ? jac
  • Hi Jac
    Thanx for your concern...

I am SO far away here in Cape Town and very frustrating that no one in Madeira replies to my queries on starting a business there. They seem to 'pass on the buck' in dealing with this matter. Ive written to IBC and IDERAM but no reply. Maybe you might have a contact??

I have had a slow response to my ad on this forum but am still keeping positive.

Maybe you might be able to help me...... Is there such a company existing in Madeira that makes ice and distributes to all bars, hotels etc????

I would SO be grateful to your response.
    Thanx
    Michele
  • helo michele
    i will look into getting a contact for ibc and ideram , and i will ask my bro inlaw about the ice companys,get back as soon as,.
  • THANX SO SO MUCH JAC.... I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

Miguela
  • yes, definitely a kebab shop is missing in Funchal! there are no kebabs available or any other fast food shops where you could buy inexpensive giros and salad and sit down to eat :(( well, there is McDonalds and PizzaHut which are expensive, and there are some hot dog stands and kiosks, but they do not count. Sometimes I would like to go to a nice little kebab cafeteria and eat some fast food with meat and salad, but here are only terribly expensive cafes and restaurants for rich tourists :(( It is because there are not enough immigrants from Turkey, I guess...

by the way, there are no sex shops (I mean, erotic toys' shops) either in Funchal. Another business idea ;)
  • Thanks Madeirense

I'll add your suggestions to my list. Maybe you're right... here in South Africa we have 'Adult World' sex shops that do extremely well. A good idea, I would think. THanx
    Michele
  • WOT ABOUT AN ICE-MAKING FACTORY/WAREHOUSE??

that delivers / collects to all hotels, bars, snack bars & restaurants can order ??

Your input would be appreciated
  • there is very little opportunity for surfing, a small amount in Machico and a little in the west but sea not tidal and not too much waves.you can go to hotels most of the english people know how to dance and they would like to keep it up on holiday .but the houses and apartments are very expensive , and we would not really wont to have a mortgage .
  • Ice is available all over Madeira for shops,fishing boats and the markets. There are a few Turkish kebab shops also.
  • Hi Flowergirl56

Is there an ice making factory to make the ice for the businesses that need it?

For eg. Where does the fish market in Funchal get all that ice from day to day??

Hope you can be of help.

Thanking u\\

Miguela
  • There is an erotic toy shop in the Marina Shopping complex.
  • Thanx for letting me know.... Is it for both men and women??

Miguela
  • There is a huge amount of Surfing here on madeira on the North side and in the south west, Ponta Picinha , Paul do mar and Jardim do mar have some of the biggest surf breaks in Europe.I think that a surf shop with ding repair and sales of equipment for wind surfing diving etc and boards would be a good idea.Do some market research through the Portugal surf Mag and good luck with what ever you do,
  • It is similar to the Ann summers shops but on a much smaller scale. Clothes,Sex Toys & Novelties etc.
  • Sorry Elaine

Where is Ann summers shops?

Miguela