Houses and damp in winter

edited December 1969 in General
Ola
We live in Central Portugal and all houses here, new and old, have problems with damp in the winter (we have a dehumidifier on all the time). Do Madeiran houses have the same problems?
Obrigada

Comments

• yes. i found because we are living in uk we just install gutering around the roof and that stop the water runing downs the walls and we dont have the damp in our holiday home in madeira even we only use for a week a year.
    regards
    joao correia from madeira in northumbria uk
  • Throughout the year, does it rain heavy in Madeira?
  • No only certain months, but you can get rain at any time. Nov, Dec, Jan are the wettest months. Tell me though how many places do you know where you can sunbathe all year round?

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Funchal+Portugal+POXX0014?from=month_topnav_business
  • joao correia Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > yes. i found because we are living in uk we just
    > install gutering around the roof and that stop the
    > water runing downs the walls and we dont have the
    > damp in our holiday home in madeira even we only
    > use for a week a year.
    > regards
    > joao correia from madeira in northumbria uk

Joao did you install guttering on your house in Madeira?
    Our villa does not have guttering, and although we have no damp problems, a couple of windows have small areas around them where the plaster is bubbling. Maybe the seals to the windows, but I'm not sure.
  • yes in my cottage in madeira.
    your problem maybe is not damp.
    maybe is = lots of builders in portugal build with sand extract from the sea. and latter the moister in the air start to bring the salt out of the plaster.
    you can by a seller in the diy shop but sand the area first.
    good luck
    joao correia
  • Thanks Joao we are over to Madeira again soon, I'll make some enquiries.