What verb forms should I learn?

edited December 1969 in General
So I'm learning Portuguese on my own and it's going quite well. I can understand amazingly much reading subtitles and have only been here 7 months:)

I've learned how to conjugate Indicativo Presente, Indicativo Pretérito Imperfeito, Indicativo Pretérito Perfeito Simples, Indicativo Futuro do Presente Simples, and Condicional Futuro do Pretérito Simples. Although I'm not really sure when to use the last one.

Anyways, what do you think I should learn next? What is most commonly used? I know Indicativo Futuro do Presente Simples isn't used alot so it was kind of a waste learning that, but it was an easy one so whatever:P Eventually I'm gonna know it all, hehe.

Comments

• I think it's excellent that you want to learn all those verb tenses and it's useful to know them when reading Portuguese, but we don't normally use many of them when talking, so pay attention to people's speech, otherwise your Portuguese will sound strange...
  • Thats why I'm asking... Which ones do you use while speaking? Although I know like a thousand words it's reaaaaaally hard hearing what people are saying.
  • We use Indicativo Presente, Pretérito Perfeito and Imperfeito. The Future we don't use much, at least in Madeira.
  • Which would that be on the link I posted? The three first ones?

Ye for future you use ir right? Like I'm going to swim tonight, vou nadar hoje á noite?
  • That's right it's the first three verb tenses you made reference to.

Exactly, your example of how we construct the future tense is excellent and, as you must have noticed, it's similar to the English version.
  • Nice, thanks!

Another thing. Could estou nadar and eu nado mean the same thing? If, then which is most commonly used when speaking?
  • You're welcome.

Basically it means the same thing, but "estou a nadar" is what we use the most. Please notice the "a" between the two words, it was missing on your sentence. We also use "estou nadando" = "I'm swimming"

The "eu nado" is used like in "eu nado bem" = "I swim well"
  • So verbatim, how are your Portuguese lessons coming along?

Where are you from?

Good studying!
  • It's going great:) I'm learning it by myself so no lessons;) I'm taking two weeks off from the studying now since my parents are here:)

I'm from Sweden.

By the way could you give me an example of when Indicativo Pretérito Imperfeito and Indicativo Pretérito Perfeito Simples is used? I know imperfeito is when you have no time frame to relate too, but when I make up sentences in my mind etc it seems like there always is some time frame to relate too... Am I right to say pretérito is used the most by far?

And thanks for the help, it's well needed!
  • Hi verbatim,

Nice to know your parents are here at the moment.

Your English is excellent for a Swedish. Do you use it a lot? In Madeira you probably only speak English, anyway.

Using the verb "nadar" again:
    Pretérito Imperfeito - "Ele nadava bem" = "He used to swim well"
    Pretérito Perfeito - "Ele nadou bem" = "He swam well"

Yes, to form the past tense we use, mostly, the Pretérito Perfeito.

You're welcome and enjoy your parents' visit.
  • I've understood "are you afraid" is called "tem medo".

Is there any sense behind this? Because "tem medo" would otherwise mean do you have fear?

If I would type "are you afraid" I'd write "ele esta receoso?"

Another thing. Could you also write estive a nadar as in I was swimming? Estive a nadar ontem, I was swimming yesterday? Is that what you commonly use when speaking?
  • Hi verbantim,

"Are you afraid?" translates to "Voce tem medo?" ou "Tens medo?". The first is a more polite way of talking, the second is when you're talking to your friends, brothers, sisters, etc. However there's an even politer way of saying it, which is "O Senhor tem medo?" ou "A Senhora tem medo?" and this is used quite often. Sometimes we skip mentioning the subject and say only: "Tem medo?"

"Ele esta receoso?" means "Is he afraid?"

"Estive a nadar ontem" is quite correct and commonly used.

Note: I had to remove the accents over "Voce..." (first line) and "esta..." (second paragraph), becaude they were causing encoding errors.
  • Again, thank you very much!

Though I still can't grasp "voce tem medo". I don't understand why the verb ter is used and not estar? Since it is the verb are (estar) in english and not have (ter). Is ter used when it is emotions or what's the deal? Like are you happy = voce tem feliz?
  • Hi verbatim,

You're welcome.

I see your point. In fact we use both "voce tem medo" and "voce esta com medo", but in different situations.

For instance: "voce tem medo de trovoada" = "you're afraid of thunder". This relates to something that you're afraid of in general. Be it a strong, close thunder or a far away thunder, you're afraid of thunder and that's it.

Then, another situation: "voce esta com medo desta trovoada" = "you're afraid of this thunder". Here we're talking about a specific type of thunder. For instance, there's a terrible thunder storm outside and you're afraid, but usually thunder doesn't bother you, only when it's very bad.

Notice also that this same phrase construction is used for the afirmative and interrogative. If I want to turn these two sentences into questions, all I have to do is place a question mark at the end.

It's a pity I can't place the accents over the letters. I tried to do so once more and clicked on preview, but it showed an encoding error again. For someone learning Portuguese, the accents are important.
  • Hello again verbatim,

Sorry I forgot to answer your entire question, so here it goes the remainder:

Portuguese and English languages are very different from each other, so you'll find lots of divergencies.

"Voce tem feliz" is wrong, we never use it. The closest to it we can use is "Voce tem uma grande felicidade", this translates to "You have a big happiness" and we can use it like, for instance, when someones children are all well in life.

"Are you happy?" is "voce esta feliz?". And, like I said on my last post, the afimative form is exactly the same, it's just a question of removing the question mark.

Have a nice day.
  • This thread has been a bit forgotten since I got employment and moved to a new apartment etc, but I'm gonna start asking questions here again now and hope for an answer hehe:) I really appreciate your help biaria, thank you so much!

What word is most commonly used for the english please? This is really basic but I never asked this. I read you could say por favor, but I never heard anyone say it ever so I'm just using obrigado. Is this correct? Like when shopping "um saco obrigado".

Also another thing when shopping at pingo, what are they saying when they ask if I want a bag? Is it quere um saco? Should be right since that means do you want a bag? It's damn hard to hear what ppl say though so sometimes it sounds like que um saco or something like that. I guess it is quere um saco, just checking with you so I'm right:) Need to be sure of everything if I'm learning a language right;)
  • Hi verbatim,

Happy New Year! Nice to know you got a job and moved to new apartment.

The other day I remembered you and that it had been ages since you last posted about your Portuguese lessons. I even thought about asking how things were going, but then I also thought you probably had your own reasons to be away, so I kept quiet... but now it's good to see you're back!

Yes, "please" is "por favor" in Portuguese, however it has several variants and regionalisms: you can also say "se faz favor", "se era o favor", "podia fazer o favor?", "sera que podia fazer o favor?", "faca [fassa] o favor", "se nao se importa". But you can never go wrong with "por favor", so you can use it anytime. The reason why you don't hear it much, is because there are not that many polite people around...

"Obrigado is "thank you", so after they give you the bag, you're expected to say "obrigado".

At Pingo Doce they ask: "Quer um saco?", but as the "r" may get swallowed, it sounds."Que um saco?". Let me add that, the right way to pronunciate is with the "r" - "quer".

Just a side note: maybe you're aware of it already, but at Pingo Doce (and Sa, for that matter,) they ask if you want a bag, because they charge for it. Their philosophy is that if they charge, people will be more careful and will reuse the same bag/s next time they go shopping and less plastic will reach the garbage. Modelo/Continente don't charge (so don't ask), but they say their bags are biodegradable.

Another side note: there's a bad thing about this forum - any accent caracters, over or under letters, cause encoding mistakes, so I can't add them. That's why I typed [fassa] after "faca", so that you know how it is to be pronouced, because the "c" in this "faca" was supposed to have a cedilla underneath. "Faca", just like this, means "knife".

It's my pleasure to help, so any time you're in doubt, you're welcome to ask me for help.

Have a nice day!
  • Happy new year to you too and all the rest who might be reading!

I rehearse about 100 words each day (I know about 1100) and I learn a few new words each week although not as much as before I started working. What's really suffering though is.. well all the rest there is to learn. Sure I know how to conjugate verbs etc, but I really should be making sentences to translate etc but there just isn't enough time (or motivation to be honest).

My parents brought a learning Portuguese CD when they visited which I haven't even opened yet which is sad. But as long as I progress I'm okay with it and I do progress. I speak it more and more though I hardly find myself in situations where I need to use it. Guess I need to go out to restaurants etc more and stay away from pingo, haha. Anyways I'm determined to learn the language and I know I will. My girl friend is learning it too now so hopefully in a couple of months we could speak in Portuguese to each other and progress even faster.

Alright, I'll start using por favor alot now then. I have no problem being polite - I wish all were.

Why is it quer and not quere?

I never reuse pingo bags for shopping since I use them to put trash in. I assumed most (all) people did?

Good to know. I'm really thankful! I love people like you and even though you say people are not that polite, compared to Sweden I think people are really polite. For instance two colleagues from work have forgotten their wallets in taxis and they both got it back from the drivers. Maybe it was just two really nice drivers (or the same one) I don't know but I find this very, very unlikely to be happening in Sweden.

A good day to you too!
  • Hello again Verbatim,

You'll learn Portuguese eventually, if you stay here long enough, that is. And if you use it, of course. If you try your best, you'll learn even faster. Speaking to your girlfriend in Portuguese will help too.

Yes, try to be polite, as people will get a better impression about you, which is very good and it will make you feel happier.

It's "quer", just because it's the way it is, like, for instance, "bag" is not "bage".

Many people use supermarket plastic bags to put garbage into and it's very handy, but ambientalists don't like the idea. They say plastic takes far too long to disintegrate. Anyway, a plastic bag is a very convenient way of disposing of rubbish, however I agree that if the bag is biodegradable it's much better.

Well, I'm pleased to know you find Madeiran people polite and that we're better than the Swedish. Of course there's lots of polite people around, but there are others who don't seem to know what good manners are all about.

Your colleagues were very lucky, not all taxi drivers are that honest. But I'm pleased to see that there's still good people around.
  • Hi,

I was making a semi-long post about the verb querer and the form quer but then I noticed you were right:P I was positive querer wasn't irregular in it's present tense but I noticed I was very wrong there. Shame on me.

I will do my best to keep Madeira a wonderful place to live in.
  • Hi verbatim,

In Swedish language, do you also have such a complex way of conjugating verbs?

Oh yes, please do... keep Madeira a wonderful place, that is.
  • Yeah, we definitely do. I think Swedish is much more complex but it's nothing one think about since I'm raised with it.

Could you help me saying "can you stop here, my friend is going off" pode parar aqui por favor, o meu amigo esta ir fora..... or something?

Also is this correct? I'm thinking of the superlative. Could I not say ela é muita bonita? I must say ela é belíssima? If I want to say she is very beautiful.

Adjective Comparative Superlative (absolut) Superlative (relative)
    bom (good) melhor (better) o melhor (the best) ótimo (very good)
    mau (bad) pior (worse) o pior (the worst) péssimo (very bad)
    pequeno (small) menor (smaller) o menor (the smallest) mínimo (very small)
    grande (big) maior (bigger) o maior (the biggest) mšximo (very big)

The others adjectives follow this example:

Adjective Comparative Superlative (absolut) Superlative (relative)
    belo (pretty) mais belo (prettier) o mais belo (the prettiest) belíssimo (very pretty)
    caro (expensive) mais caro (more expensive) o mais caro (the most expensive) caríssimo (very expensive)

Found another site now which translates differently:

péssimo terrible, extremely bad
    o mšximo the most, the greatest
    o mínimo the least, the smallest
  • Hello verbatim,

At least you're already used to a difficult language. If your mother tong was, for instance, English, I think it would be even harder for you to learn the Portuguese.

The right way to say is: "Pode parar aqui, por favor, o meu amigo quer sair."

"Ela e muito bonita" e "Ela e belissima" are both right, but "Ela e muito bonita" is more commonly used. "Ela e belissima" is used when you want to give the idea that this person is more than "very beautiful".

Now about the Adjective Comparative Superlative:
    1) you can say "otimo", but you can also say "muito bom"
    2) the same with "pessimo", you can use this term, but it's also correct to say "muito mau"
    3) in the "pequeno" sequence: even though the words you used are correct, it's more common to say "mais pequeno", "o mais pequeno" and "muito pequeno"
    4) instead of "maximo", we usually say "muito grande"
    5) "belissimo" is correct, but so is "muito belo"
    6) the came with "carissimo", it's correct, but so is "muito caro"

The three last translations on your post, for "pessimo", "o maximo" and "o minimo", are all correct.

Verbatim, how did you manage to post your words with the accents? I tried to put them, but, as usual, I had to edit my post, as they all caused encoding errors.

I decided to ask my son about this accent matter and he said it may have something to do with our browser. I use Google Chrome; and you?
  • Hi,

Sorry for late reply! I can't imagine it's been more than two weeks since my last visit. Time really flies here.... I'm shocked to say the least.

As usual thank you very much for your help, very appreciated.

I'm using mozilla firefox and it works like a charm.
  • Hi verbatim,

You're welcome and thanks for your answer.

Maybe I should try firefox, next time I need to place accents.

All the best.
  • Hi again biaria!

All well?

I was wondering about requests and if you could tell me short about it. Maybe there are rules to follow?

Close = Fechar but "please close the door" was translated "feche a porta, por favor"

So, are all verbs like this? "please open the door" = "abre a porta, por favor" ?

"kick, kick!" = "chute, chute!" ?
  • Hi again verbatim,

"feche a porta, por favor" is correct.
    "abre a porta, por favor" is best with "abra", which is a more polite way of saying it and is how it appears everywhere. "Abre" is used when you're talking to a friend, a brother, a sister, people you refer to by "tu".

Yes, the verbs are usually conjugated like this for this type of requests.

"chute, chute!" (or "chuta, chuta! if you're talking to "tu" kind of people) is correct.

Have a nice day!
  • So usually (or always?) when it is a request or you tell someone to do it the verb is either ending with a or with e depending on if it's "tu" kind or "voce" kind.

But there seems to be no rule which it is since it differs in your example so that's something I have to learn for every verb?

Also, EU ("I") is it pronounced "ey"? I always wondered about this but never asked and now the other day I heard that euro was pronounced like "eyro".

So long time between the replies, I might as well wish you a good spring!
  • Hi verbatim,

No, it doesn't always end like that, but, usually, verbs with the same termination are alike. Even the examples I gave you, are the complete opposite:
    Fechar (to close) is fecha for "tu" and feche for "voce", while abrir (to open) is abre for "tu" and abra for "voce".

Eu (I), is pronouced "eu" and euro is "euro", but then I don't know how the "u" is pronouced by you, or the "y" for that matter.

Thanks for the good wishes, a pleasant Spring to you, too.
  • haha. Ye but you know in english right? Like saying "hey". Is it like that?

But I heard how euro was pronounced so if it's pronounced the same as eu I know.