Naveira Armas / Easy Jet WARNING

edited December 1969 in General
I just have looked Easy Jet website, " low cost airline" - actually, it's NO MORE LOW COST airline
Tickets to London are more expensive then TAP, tickets to UK cost about 300- 400 % MORE then a year ago. I'm just wondering what is the reason ? Is't something to do with the Naveira Armas, local taxes or fuel cost ( hard to believe). In any case very bad for Madeira.

Naveira Armas it's another story - how they can close the line without any notice ? I do understand that, they didn't resolve money problem with local government, that's fine , but they should give some information's in advance. That's wasn't very nice.....

Anyway, be very careful when book your tickets, check other airlines as well .

Comments

• You are right, Easyets prices have gone up a lot. Just over 3 years ago we paid about £90 return for both of us to go to Madeira in January. This year it was £250. Having said that, no one got near that price. The nearest was around £400 I think. Easyjet have realised that can cut the number of flights and have full or nearly full planes. For instance you cannot fly from Stansted any more. If they can fill the planes, they can charge more. Would be great if another budget airline could fly to Madeira. Competition is a wonderful thing.
  • It is becoming very expensive again to get on or off the island which is a great shame for tourism.

I believe Easyjet was part funded by the government or something when they started, this was to last 3 years, so there were plenty of fights now the flights have been cut to less than half, and with no Ferry either, its a great shame.

Tobi.
  • We have just booked to go to the UK in April and going via Lisbon to Manchester with TAP, costing in total over €100 cheaper than EasyJet. Jet2, also an airline which uses Manchester, is 100% more than last August, they, along with EasyJet have increased luggage charges, online booking fees and admin fees. I think part of the reason for the reduction in flights, especially to Lisbon with TAP and EasyJet is probably the residency discount, which I guess cuts well into their profit margin.We don't take any hold luggage any more, one airline cost, including luggage was £100 more to take hold luggage, it's a disgrace. As for the ferry, well where was the tourism minister, could she not have put negotiations in place to make sure we didn't lose it. The ineffective MP's are killing the tourism industry here and seem to care little about it. Perhaps when their highly paid jobs become at risk the may wish they had been more pro-active
  • You have to look for the tickets well in advance, if you not tied up to exact date ,possibly you can find better deal , they have direct flights to Heathrow as well - which in my case is another saving , of time and money - Gatwick Express to Victoria
    Don't forget that TAP is not charging you debit card " processing fee " and one piece of luggage - 20 kg - is free of any charge.
  • I think the tourism minister Conceição Estudante should be strung up, she does an absolute appalling job, and probably takes a good wage for it....

Tobi.

www.tobiinmadeira.com
  • Tobi
    Have a look at this posting on Madeira Islands Forums on Trip Advisor...........
    33. Re: Flight gripes, Your good and bad experiences
    Shows the MP's are mostly all related to each other, what does that tell you !!!!!!
  • Hi,

I have looked at that, very interesting.

I did know a lot of the government are related, as this is how it works here, its not what you know its who you know to get anywhere here, and that post shows how bad it is.

Tobi.
  • It's very bad , the problem is, that existing government got over 50 % and the electors seems to be happy ,with the level of freedom & alcohol and tobacco prices ( old trick) .
    I don't really know , what needs to happen, to refresh the air....
    If you look to every, even smallest village - "oranges" are everywhere ,like the church, it's not easy to fight with so strong structure's.
    They are under the duvet of democracy , but is't still democracy???????????
  • I,m Gutted that the air fare too and from London to Funchal has become so expensive,One package holiday h/b to spain for a week £200,with transfer.One return to Madeira over £300.WHY
  • It makes such bad sense. Do not know what to say!
  • Pathetic, Goverment should subsidies the airfares to attract Tourism, More direct flights needed from around Europe to Funchal,
  • SergioRo Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Pathetic, Goverment should subsidies the airfares
    > to attract Tourism, More direct flights needed
    > from around Europe to Funchal,

I have just read, that the Government is considering , discounting airport taxes here in Funchal- not surprising after in the first quoter number of Britons drop for about 12 % ..........
    Maybe with Naveira Armas someone wake -up as well????
  • Rob.69. I wouldn´t hold my breath for a 12% discount on Airport Taxes!!

From FT.COM: "Largely overlooked amidst the handwringing over Spain this week, was a piece written by Portuguese prime minister Pedro Passos Coelho in the FT that all but admits publicly what many officials have been saying privately for some time: Portugal is probably going to need a second bailout"
  • ever Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Rob.69. I wouldn´t hold my breath for a 12%
    > discount on Airport Taxes!!
    >
    > From FT.COM: "Largely overlooked amidst the
    > handwringing over Spain this week, was a piece
    > written by Portuguese prime minister Pedro Passos
    > Coelho in the FT that all but admits publicly what
    > many officials have been saying privately for some
    > time: Portugal is probably going to need a
    > second bailout"

Ever,

Number of British tourist drop in the first quoter 12 % - not Airport Taxes, there is some increase in number of Germans coming here, but they bringing sandwiches Made in Germany with them, so not sure if this will help a lot to Madeira economy :)

Very soon all of us will need bailout...
  • Hi all,

Have just found online that Monarch are starting to fly to Madeira from Gatwick on 15th October 3 times a week. Looks like Easyjet and TAP will be getting some competition! Prices do vary a bit though for time of year, which is to be expected plus taxes are shown separately.
  • Aye but their prices don't look inspiring. For the first time ever we are flying with TAP later in the year, because they were cheaper than Easyjet.
    I thought Easyjet was a budget airline? Not any more.