Jewish Community in Madeira

edited December 1969 in Social
I have heard from the locals that there is a Jewish cemetery somewhere near San Goncalo.Does anyone have any information to help me locate this place and also is there a jewish community over here?

Comments

• hi ron

i guess you are israeli like myself-- you are right the cemetery is close to the sea behind a wall i saw it from the outside some years ago. there is no jewish community in madeira as far as i know0 maybe we can have one now- write to me
    shalom
    adi
  • I think the old Jewish cemetery was on Rua do Lazareto, a couple of hundred meters up from Largo da Forca (Lynching Plazza), on the right side. It's just a short walk from the Barreirinha Lido complex. If I'm not mistaken, the wall was yellow, and it was right at the edge of the cliff overlooking the Toco beach. This is what I remember how it was in the mid 60's.
    People called this the Jewish cemetery, but at that time, I was very young, I couldn't tell a Jewish cemetery from any other.
    Hope this helps.
  • Dear JJ
    Thank you very much for your reply. Now i can start searching and i will send you details of what i find and perhaps i will take some photos and send them to you via e-mail.
    My profession is a gardener,and i always thought that if this place exsisted that it would be overgrown and in need of renovation.The dead deserve some respect and not forgotten.
    Sincere regards Ron Simpson
  • Hi Ron,
    My name is Robin. My grandparents were from Porto Santo Portugal and they were Jewish. The fact that they were Jewish was a secret for a long while because of AntiSemitism and the religion that was recognized was Catholic
    They converted to not be persecuted. Sound familiar?

It is nice that you are wishing to dedicate your time to restore the grounds of the cemetary. It is a very nice way to remember.
    We will never forget!

All the best,
    Robin

• hi, i am not israeli myself but have alot of israeli friends in the uk and am living in funchal. would love to meet u? please conmtact me, nicola
  • My name is Anna and I immigrated to America in 1972, I use to live 5 minutes away from the cemitery. Interesting, just the other day, I was talking to my co-worker about the jewish cemetery in Madeira, that everytime I asked my mom about it , we were not allowed to ask anything, we were raised catholic , now that I'm older I started looking at the history of my Island. I have alot of Jewish friends, and I'm proud of them, they were my best teachers.

Regards,
  • yeah, another araujo.

the jewish people have suffered a great deal in portugal and through out europe for many years, and continue to suffer many injustices. hopefully, we can all grow more enlightened and embrace all people, and respect their cultures and beliefs. After all we r all one.

and how many of us from madeira are decendants of the new christians, i'm sure many of us are.

Peace
  • We tried to locate the cemetry last time we were in Funchal 3 years ago but couldn't find it. We are going back in April. Did you manage to find it? If so maybe you could help us locate it. many thanks.
    Karina
  • shalom from Israel

It is nice to read the various messages and I am very happy and proud that I consider Portugal as my second home- although I will live as long as possible in Israel.

For information on the location of the JEWISH CEMETERY I think it is best to ask the TURISMO in Av Arriaga.
    I saw it a few ysears ago from a car- it was close to the sea behind a wall and neglected. The problem is that there is no Jewish community in Funchal and thus it remains in this situation- I also saw the Jewish cemetery in the Acores many years ago.

I always feel at home in PORTUGAL and most certainly in MADEIRA- Many people indeed are descendants of Jews and they say probably a third of the POrtuguese have some Jewish blood.

Hope to visit Madeira- the paradise on earth again, later this year and will be glad to meet anyone who is around and interested to meet me.

SHALOM' ATE A PROXIMA' SAUDADES A MADEIRA

ADI
  • I am a visiting professor at the Universidade da Madeira in Funchal. Did you have any luck finding the Jewish cemetary? I would like to see it before I leave just before Pesach. I also understand there was once a synagogue here. Do you (or anyone on the forum) know its location?

--Larry
  • I have a couple of questions -

1.- Is there a burial record for the Jewish Cemetery in Funchal?

2. - If not, is there anyone living on the island that would be willing to list the names of those buried in that cemetery?

My parents were born in Madeira, though we (to the best of my knowledge) were not Jewish, I too believe that we all have a little Jewish blood running through our veins I would be very interested in corresponding (via e-mail) with anyone residing in Madeira that is interested in researching their Jewish/Sephardic ancestry. This is a topic that is so often not well received by the Portuguese people.

• the synagogue is next to the shopping centre called anadia in funchal opposite the market place.as you leave the underground carpark,you turn into a one way system.as u stop to join the main road look up directley ahead of you.you will see a stained glass window.the star.
  • Thanks for the information about the location of the synagogue.

--Larry
  • why isn't their a jewish community
  • Their was but due to hostility and ignorence,they to the last names of fruit trees and intergrated into the local way of life, in the late 1800s.Perreira is a common one,meaning pear tree.There are alot of Maderense who dont realise their families true oragion
  • I was unable to locate the synagogue site from your directions. Have sent photos offline. Any further help would be much appreciated.

--Larry
  • -- moved topic --
  • hi JJ

as Brits recently living in Madeira I have been trying to locate the jewish cemetary there. can you confirm that the directions you give are referring to Funchal ?

we will be there next week and may have a look and loacte it
  • David, yes, this is for Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal. This is what I remember from 1966, that the cemetery is on Rua do Lazareto,a couple of hundred meters up from Largo da Forca (Lynching Plazza), on the right side. It's just a short walk from the Barreirinha Lido complex.
    I have returned to Madeira several times, but don't remember going by Rua do Lazareto. So I don't know how the area looks like now.

PLEASE PEOPLE, JUST A WARNING:

THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT HAS PLANS FOR DEVELOPING THE TOCO BEACH, THIS IS JUST BELOW THE CLIFFS ALONG RUA DO LAZARETO. THE PROJECT INCLUDES HOTELS, MARINA, APARTMENTS,AND SHOPS. I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WILL AFFECT THE JEWISH CEMETERY. BUT FROM WHAT I CAN SEE, LOOKING AT ALL THE NEW CONSTRUCTION, VERY LITTLE RESPECT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO THE ENVIRONMENT OR HISTORIC SITES. SO, IF YOU WANT TO SAVE THE CEMETERY, HURRY!

JJ
  • woodie Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > the cemetery is on Rua do Lazareto,a couple of
    > hundred meters up from Largo da Forca (Lynching
    > Plazza), on the right side. It's just a short walk
    > from the Barreirinha Lido complex.

Hi all,

You can't miss it. The coordinates are 32.6474,-16.8949 - just insert into GoogleEarth or GoogleMaps. Unfortunately the door is locked . . .

Regards - Anton
  • Yes there is is a jewish cemetry in madeira and the GOOD news there is a lots of empty spaces left if you are intrested
  • Hi ana how is canada??
  • Oh dear. This sounds so much like Tonhinho!!!!!!!
  • Ola DON DON, long time no hear, how is things DON DON, FROM TON TON?
  • happy new year to you DON, AND STOP BEING A GOOD BOY, THERE IS NO ROOM FOR GOOD PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN HELL**
  • Hi

I am currently in Funchal and have found the Jewish Cemetary. It is exactly in the place described earlier about 100m from Largo de Forca up Caminho do Lazaretto. It is very small and locked up although there is no indication who has the keys . There is a sign on the doors dating it back to 1861 . However it is on the edge of the cliff and if you could gain access it could be very dangerous at the edge. I managed to see alittle of the condition of the stones thru a slit in the doors and it looked all a bit sad .. Next time I go there i will get some pics , maybe in March. I walked down a path to the bottom of the cliff and looked up at the site which looks in poor condition, whether the cliff will crumble is anyone's guess. I certainly would not want to be there if it happens. What we need to know now is who has the keys and who owns the land.. Any ideas.

By the way I also had a look for the synagogue but there was absolutely nothing near the Anadia shopping centre entrances..

Any thoughts how to proceed ?
  • We did a bit of research: The Jewish Cemetery is indeed situated in the Rua do Lazareto, across from "LazarAuto", a car repair shop. The wall is freshly painted, and there is a sign "Jewish Cemetery" in English, Portuguese and Hebrew on the door. If someone wants to visit the cemetery, Sr. Carlos, the owner of LazarAuto, has the key to the padlock. Be very careful when visiting because the ground is unstable toward the sea front; four graves have already fallen into the sea. Because of this problem, it seems that the city is thinking of relocating the cemetery. This is quite complicated as some Jewish rituals are needed before relocation. (This was reported by a Jewish gentleman with residence in Calheta, he also takes care of the cemetery. If you want this contact, please contact info@timeconsult-madeira.com.)
    The synagogue was not near Anadia Shopping but in Rua do Carmo, 33, the building is a small replica of the Synagogue in Lisbon. You can see a Star of David in one of the windows. It now houses a laundry and a café. This information is from Esther Musznik, the President of the Jewish Community in Lisbon. Her contact: tikva@cilisboa.org. web site www.cilisboa.org (in Portuguese).
  • what is, the star of david????
  • If you stand outside the Pingo Doce entrance of the Anadia Centre its about 150 meters to the right you will see the Star of David facing you
    Good luck to all
  • and, who is DAVID???