parent search

edited December 1969 in Family and Friends
I was born in south africa,JHB, victoria hospital on jan 2,1977My biological mother named me: Dawn De AbreuMy biological father was south african and 25 years old
and my biological mom was 17 and portugues, her parent's were born in MADEIRA ISLANDI was adopted by a familly in south africa and at this moment we live in canada.please help me to find my mom.

Comments

• As you search remember that in Portugal the custom has slowly become to drop the "De" part from the "De Abreu" surname. So you will find it easier to look up the name Abreu. I think some of the people who have the Abreu surname should be getting your message - those that have - email some time today.
    As far as I know Abreu is a very famous and abundant surname in PortugalGood Luck
  • As you search remember that in Portugal the custom has slowly become to drop the "De" part from the "De Abreu" surname. So you will find it easier to look up the name Abreu. I think some of the people who have the Abreu surname should be getting your message - those that have - email some time today.
    As far as I know Abreu is a very famous and abundant surname in Portugal. So it might be a little difficult.Good Luck
  • I am called also Abreu.My oldest family person as far as i know has born in Avelar , land placed in midle of Portugal.So i think my family branch, shouldn´t be the same of your mother.I think the best way for you, is searching actual birth registers in Madeira island since begining of 20th century and church birth registers in Madeira island from 16th century tring to find your grandparents.good luckCarlos Abreu - 42 years old - born in Mozambique
  • My parents are both from Madeira. My Mother is from Funchal and my Father from Lugar de Baixo (Ponta do Sol). My parents immigrated to California where I was born and raised, but we do have family (Abreu's) in the Joburg area of South Africa. However, I'm not aware of any female Abreu's in South Africa around your Mother's age.It may be possible that your grandparents are from the same area of Madeira that my Father is from. This may help narrow your search, although there are probably a good number of Abreu's from other parts of the Island as well. Bear in mind, that South Africa was one of the most popular destinations for Madeirense immigrants. There very well may be more Madeirenses in South Africa then in Madeira itself.Carlos Alberto Medeiros Abreu: You only mentioned that the oldest family member that you are aware of was from Alevar. Was your family also in Madeira at some point? If so, what part of Madeira?Carlos Abreu - 26 years old - born in California
  • no
    Hi Carlos!
    How are you ?
    Thank you very much for E-Mailing me , but my moms
    last name is Abreu .
    I dont know my fathers last name as I do know things
    about my father that is not one of them.
    Good Luck,
    Best regards Dawn De Abreu.
  • Não sei escrever em inglês.
    Espero que recuperes todos os Abreu's.
    Um abraço
  • I'M ALSO AN ABREU.MY DAD CAME FROM MADERIA,PORTUGAL TO COME TO HAWAII TO WORK IN THE SUGAR CANE FIELDS IN MAUI AND THEN RETIRED IN HONOLULU,HAWAII.HIS NAME IS JOHN SOUZA ABREU.HE AND MY MOTHER SEPERATED WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND REALLY HAD NO CONTACT WITH HIM,BUT I THOUGHT ABOUT HIM ALL THE TIME.I KNOW HE TOLD ME THAT I HAD TWO SISTERS,BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE THEIR ARE.ALSO IF MY DAD IS ALIVE HE WOULD BE 88---MAYBE HE HAS SOME COUSINS,BUT THEY ALL MUST BE OLD AND MAYBE NOONE REALLY REMEMBERS HIM BECAUSE HE LEFT MADEIRA WHEN HE WAS IN HIS 20'S AND HE NEVER WENT BACK..GOD BLESS FOR YOUR HELP
  • Carlos I am curious about your Gouviea name. I'm in search of gouviea's. I was wondering was your gouviea name from Madiera also. Thank you. My grand father was Bento de Gouviea.
  • If anyone can help you, it will be Maxine Abreu Chism with the Hawaiian Portugese Genealogical Soc. They work for copies and postage only. Her email address is
    chismc001@hawaii.rr.com
    Good luck. Cathy
  • Hi Dawn
    I live in Johannesburg in South Africa.
    Perhaps I can try to find something out for you here.
    What is yours mothers first name? and is she still here?
  • Elizabeth,Apologies for the delay in responding, I've haven't checked the website in a while. Yes, my Gouveia name is also from Madeira. My Mother is Maria Virginia Gouveia. She's in her mid-fifties and was born in Funchal (Ajuda). My Grandparents were Antonio Gouveia and Maria Jose Gouveia (maiden name: Freitas). My Grandfather ran a shop/market in Ajuda (close to the Capela Velha da Ajuda). Some of my aunts/uncles are still back in Madeira, while others have immigrated to Venezuela and the US.Carlos
  • Carlos,I have no idea if you are able to help me, but I have a similar problem as the lady you responded to. I am looking for my dad. I was born on 6 May 1976 in Harare, Zimbabwe. My dad is Manuel Caldeira Benedito. My mother was still very young & refused to marry him so he left soon after I was born. I have been trying to find him for years, but keep on reaching dead ends. I am 24 years old now, & would really like to meet my father & find him before death seperates us permanently. He wrote a few times long ago & his address was CTT Calheta 9370 Madeira Portugal.Please help if you can.Thank you - Natasha
  • Hi Dawn

My name is Lucy I think you might be my cousin! My mom and aunts have always tried to find you. They had problem with South Africa adoption agency and they wouldn't give out the infomation. My mom googled your name and found this add. I've also sent this info to my aunt you should hear from them soon!

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
    Lucy De Abreu Marinho
  • Hi Dawn
    Please can u email me or phone and we can compare notes. My phn is 0834087842....regards

I am trying to locate DAWN DE ABREU on this site from Canada, who can help please. Please contact me on the above number or email BERNIEGON@yahoo.co.uk

I cannot trace DAWN on this site, her name seems to have dissappeared.
  • DAWN DE ABREU Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > I was born in south africa,JHB, victoria hospital
    > on jan 2,1977My biological mother named me: Dawn
    > De AbreuMy biological father was south african and
    > 25 years old
    > and my biological mom was 17 and portugues, her
    > parent's were born in MADEIRA ISLANDI was adopted
    > by a familly in south africa and at this moment we
    > live in canada.please help me to find my mom.
  • Anne.deabreu@yahoo.com
    Thanks