Madeira's unwanted animals

edited December 1969 in General
Madeira has thousands of stray dogs and cats. Where is the local equivalent of the RSPCA? Would animal-lovers here be interested in getting together to set up such a society, to expand the scope of help to unwanted animals, which is already being done by some Madeiran organisations. Isn't some kind of animal sanctuary the answer to the problems of many local residents, such as your correspondent with the kittens needing homes? How about it, animal-lovers? Can't something be done to help more animals? Sheila

Comments

• I agree Sheila. There are people around doing their best to help as volunteers, but they can only do so much. The real long term key is education in respect for animals which in many places is evidently lacking. Where I live the strays are well fed by locals and don't usually need additional support. Now there is a vet in Ribeira Brava too, which hopefully will be a big plus for the animals of the island west of Funchal.
  • CHRISTMAS DOGS, CATS,EDUCATION, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??.
    WHAT ABOUT THE YOUNG PEOPLE, BETWEEN 10 AND 15 YEARS OLDS ALL OVER ENGLAND, WHO NEVER GO TO SCHOOL, AND HANG ON SREET CONERS ALL NIGHT SMOKING POT AND TERRORISEN THE OLD FOLKS??.
    WAKE UP.
    MERRY
  • odd response. I don't know what hooligans in england have to do with animals in Madeira?
  • Sorry Der, Obviously you have never read Snr "Toninho's" responses on the forum previously, albehit his new pseudonym of "macedogilhinho" but if you look at the spelling influence and intelligence level used you can only feel sorry for his own upbringing. No apologies to Toninho!
  • Thanks to Der for sensible messages. Let's not be side-tracked by irrelevant rants about English hooligans! Also let us acknowledge the fine animal welfare work already being done in Madeira by volunteers or charities. If you already support such bodies, you may feel that nothing else needs to be done. If, like me, you feel that a society for the prevention of cruelty to animals and/or an animal sanctuary are needed in Madeira, then please send a message to say so. If lots of us feel the same way about this, who knows what we might achieve?

Sheila
  • We always get one on those forums...
    I am also in full support of some kind of animal shelter in madeira, i did come accross so much animal neglet during my childhood, i am overseas but if i can be of any help in any way.
  • Thanks, Anabelle. Please would you send your email address to toneyes@yahoo.co.uk? Could other animal-lovers also make contact in this way, if they are in favour of an SPCA and/or animal sanctuary in Madeira?

Sheila
  • ITS WORKING,i touch a nerve!!!
  • DON, WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME FOR BRAIN WHYYYYYYYY??
  • Thanks to all for encouraging response to the need for a society for the prevention of cruelty to animals and or animal sanctuary in Madeira. No-one is being asked for any money but if you would like to offer your moral support, please send your e-mail address to toneyes@yahoo.co.uk. Hoping to hear from as many animal-lovers as possible.

Sheila.
  • Maybe worth mentioning also on this site
    ....tugas.co.uk
  • I`VE GOT A GREAT DANE AND HE IS ENORMOUS, AND HE KEEPS RUNNING WAY AND HAVE SEX WITH THE FAMILY NEXT DOOR DONKEY, THE DONKEY`S NAME IS BECKY AND THEY LOVE EACH OTHER VERY MUTCH.
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THAT IS NATURAL?
  • Tonhinho, Theres only one donkey on this forum. Look in the mirror. Believe me-Stupid comments on a serious subject are uncalled for
  • Some people prefer to seat by the computer 24/7 and claim benefits at other hard working citizens cost, i would have thought that at least they would have educated themselfs a bit by now being pc literate and use their skills more apropriate or just get a life... sad that it is not even funny that we all could have a laugh after our busy working day.
  • Please could we stay on the subject of support for a society for the prevention of cruelty to animals and/or animal sanctuary on Madeira? Are you in favour or not? Do you have any ideas for approaching international animal welfare organisations, say, who might help? Why are you wasting energy replying to Macedogilhinho or whatever his name is this time? As far as I can see, his only connection to dogs on Madeira is that they are all "barking". If you are serious about animal welfare on the Island, please send your email address to toneyes@yahoo.co.uk. You will not be asked for money, only for your support.

Sheila
  • It has been suggested that I document here a short story about something that happened in Ribeira Brava, early last summer.

There was a stray black and white hound that lived here on the sea front for some months. He had a bad back leg so he limped a bit, but otherwise he was well kept and in good shape, and was very friendly to anyone who approached him. He was fed by locals, so he never went hungry.

One Saturday afternoon I saw him somewhat in distress, with some german tourists. They had been trying to get some help for him without success. He had a bad front leg wound, probably from a fight, and the leg was so swollen it was incredible.

My wife and I went into the nearby Tourist Information Office in Ribeira Brava, and the lady there, although puzzled about the reason,telephoned everyone we could think of (including SPAD, Police, Fire Brigade) about getting him to a vet in Funchal. No interest whatsoever. I phoned some people as well, but no solution. I had previously been to watch a football match in a bar, with a few good beers for company, so I wasn't able to drive at that stage.

As a last resort, the lady from the Tourist Information Office, went across to the taxi rank and got a taxi over. However the taxi driver, seeing an opportunity to fleece what he thought was a tourist (me), wanted twice the normal rate for humans, and I didn't have enough to pay. Besides, by the look of the taxi driver, I suspected that the dog would be flying off a miradouro within 10 minutes of leaving Ribeira Brava.

We had to leave him, and a couple of hours later I went back to look for him. He had gone, and as he was in no fit state to walk far he was presumed dead. Never seen again.

There should be some way to deal with these situations, just by picking uo the telephone. There needs to be a proper animal protection organisation on the island. Madeira needs to catch up with Portugal on animal welfare.
  • As i mentioned before on another thread it has to come from expats citizens for the local authorities to take any notice and take action or simply just give their full support to any charity or organizition to the animal welfare in MADEIRA, it's very frustrating and shame for us portuguese citizens but we have not much of a voice...
  • I wrote a long message but my computer gave an error and there it went, I support the idea!!!
  • Thanks Sheara - your support is valuable so when your computer is behaving better, would you please send your email address to toneyes@yahoo.co.uk?

Sheila
  • There is a group on Madeira called NAFS (Neutering And Feeding of Strays).
    Informaton can be found in the November issue of the Madeira Times, page 20.
    www.themadeiratimes.com/newspaper/p20.jpg

In Garajau lives a lady called Hazel Grenside, who looks after local stray dogs.

I hope all interested parties can contact each other, toneyes?, and combine / coordinate their efforts.

Alex
  • Thanks, Alex vT for your helpful message. I am already in touch with the NAFS founder but I did not know about the lady who helps strays in Garajau. There is also a fine charity called SOS Animal in Funchal, run by Dr. Teixeira. Wonderful as the work done by these individuals is, Madeira is in great need of an organisation on the lines of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Britain. To cope with the terrible conditions of many unwanted animals on Madeira, an animal sanctuary is also necessary. We cannot rely solely on a few dedicated animal-lovers with too little time and money to solve such a huge problem. Can a truly civilised community continue to ignore the plight of thousands of animals? Please email (if you support this cause) to toneyes@yahoo.co.uk. You will not be asked for money.

Sheila.