Holiday to the Island

edited December 1969 in Social
Hello Guys

What a really great forum you have here very informative!!!!

I am coming to the island in the summer and basically just looking for tips/ideas to make the most out of the time I am there.

I am desperatley learning as much Portuguese as I can, is it a problem that I wont be very fluent???

Sorry there are just soo many things i would love to know, I am in my mid 20's and it has been a dream for years to come and now i eventually have booked so i need to start preparing.

If anyone has any suggestions from day time persutes to evenings out i would be grateful for any information.

I look forward to hearing from you

Obrigada

World Traveller

Comments

• Well you should think of going on the cable cars from town to monte. I wouldn't advise the baloon though, think the cable cars are more worth it. You can try avoiding some turist restaurants and shops that can end up costly,I can help with some stuff but not much, e-mail me if you like sheara.madeira@gmail.com
  • dont think youwi will have a problem with language except if you venture out to the villages but there is alot of english spoken here.depends how long you are coming for,but with island tours,exploring around the towns & city etc i think you will find plenty to keep you busy.If your into tv sport there are a few "english type" pubs that have SKY.Some hotels have some sort of entertainment in the evenings.A few golf courses,water sports,horse riding etc.Hope you enjoy your stay.
  • Hope you have a wonderul trip to the island. I have been twice in nine months. Some hotels have evening entertainment and they don't charge for it. The hotel Jardins d'Adjua (suite hotel) has a folklore show each Tuesday evening for about 30 minutes and it is really good. They also have a singer and keyboard player most evenings, not Sunday or Monday and another group who perform on a Saturday (the hotel is near the Maderia Forum shopping).

You can use the local buses to get around and from what I can recall you can buy a weekly ticket too.

I would recommend exploring both the West and East Coasts, if there is a group of people, ie 3 or 4, then a taxi for the day is best. They charge about E100 for the day and this works out a good price. WEekends and bank holidays this is more expensive. Alternatively Strawberry Tours are highly recommended (I used them in March 2006) and did both the East and West Tours, but have also done the island. by taxi. Strawberry tours or is it world have a website. Also there office is by the Momumental Lido hotel.

Need any more info please email me at dolphinsinthewild@yahoo.com
  • Thank you everyone for your ideas I am really looking forward to going and it looks like there are tons of great things to do.

I am desperately learning Portuguese at the moment just hope i can do enough before i go.

Thanks again guys
  • Hi, when are you lebing for Madeira? I am gonna to spent there 3 months, I am leaving tomorrow so if you want, we can explore this island together!

Tera