looking for family tree

edited December 1969 in Family and Friends
author manuel de ponte francisco

my parents were born in estreito da calhetha madeira .i am looking for people with the surmame francisco . i live in south africa and i havent seen any portuguese people with that surname
it is usualy a first name i wonder if it is a genuine surname
can anybody help.

Comments

• It does appear that Francisco is a genuine surname, www.familysearch.org may be of some help to you in tracing your ancestors.
  • Hi Manuel,
    It's not exactly true that the name Francisco wouldn't exist in South-Africa as a surname.
    The phonebook lists 61 names, mainly in the Cape Peninsula, Pretoria and Johannesburg (but indeed may be not all Portuguese).
    Find through www.infobel.com. May be it's useful. Best of luck and success!
  • I think that the surname might be incorrect, i say this because my mother maiden name was de Ponte late grand father's name was Ponte, but he died before i was born and don't know exacly where he was born we lived in Santa do Porto Moniz. i'm still working on my family roots to find out where my relative originated from.

good luck
  • Live in the U.S, and there are loads of Francisco,s that are here due to imigration, and it is a very common name all the years growing up in the states............
  • There are about 45 Francisco,s in the Maderian Phone directory.
  • I am looking for my family tree my name is Delia Coelho i am 26 year old i am born in Madeira but living in the uk now i am intrest in find out my family tree for both saids mums Vieira and dads Coelho both born in Madeira Santa Cruz please find my family tree thanks a lot
  • Hi,

My family name is de Ponte, my parents were born in Sao Vicente and they emigate 40 years ago from Madeira. Can somebody help me find out the roots were the family de Ponte came from.

Regards

Rosa.

• I was doing a bit of back tracing on my surname, Ribeiro, and discovered that in the late 1700s, one of the ancestors, went from "Ribeiro" to "Ponte Ribeiro" after marrying a Maria De Ponte and this became a heridatery surname. Well..right up to me, when my father dropped the "Ponte" out of the name

So...I found that all "Ponte Ribeiro"s ONLY come from Ponta Do Pargo, in Madeira. And there arent many.

But I would also like to know where the "De Ponte" originates from.??
  • I only knew one family called Ribeiro from Gaula, Santa Cruz and they emigrated to brazil mid 70s. Do search in Santa Cruz they have websites with the local council 'camera de santa cruz" were they have from registry of birth/marriage etc might find some info.
  • Actually managed to trace my family tree down to 1752...
    My great great great great grandfather, Antao Ribeiro, married a Maria de Ponte in 1752, and from here, all descendants adopted the "De Ponte Ribeiro" surname.

Was hoping someone could give me a possible family tree "branch out" from Maria de Ponte 1752 or previously?
  • Hi,

Like everyone else I am looking to trace my family tree. All I know is that my grandfather Jose Gomes de Caires came from Sao Roque, Madeira. He migrated to Trinidad, West Indies in the early 1900's and like all Portuguese men of that era opened a business a bar. He brought his nephews to Trinidad. Some of his family lived in South Africa and Brazil at different times.

My father his son unfortunately is ill and cannot help much at this time. I am hoping that there is someone out there who might be able to assist.

Thanks!!
  • Hi Donna

Looks like there is a whole family of "Gomes de Caires" in Sao Roque...from the 1700s...

Check the link below:

http://www.arquivo-madeira.org:81/bds/casamentosuk/Ccasamentoslist.asp?psearch=Gomes+de+Caires&psearchtype=

These are for Marriage only.
    Using the same site, you can then try to look up baptisimal records, to find the parents names, and then back and forth between the marriage certificates and baptisms...and even the passport sections and you should find out quite a bit about your specific line.

From what I can see on the site, :
    José Gomes de Caires married Augusta Adelaide Ferreira in São Roque - 1869
    (THis is probably your great-grandfather or great-great, as this is quite some time before the early 1900s)

With the passports, the following show up,so this may be your grandfather, and his nephews...(see below)

- António Gomes de Caires Trindade-Antilhas 1913
    - João Gomes de Caires (with Júlia de Jesus) to the USA 1915
    - João Gomes Luís (with Júlia de Jesus) to São Paulo-BRA 1893
    - José Gomes de Caires Trindade-Antilhas 1912

What I can deduce above, is that the last one, 1912, is most probably your grandfather and it seems he went alone. And the Antonio(the first entry) came in the following year.
    The 3rd entry, to Brazil, may be the family you mentioned that went to brazil.
    Although that is a Luis, but the search find people who "sponsored" them, so they may have been sponsored by a Gomes de Caires.

If you need to get a full detailed investigation into this, I have a researcher in Madeira that I used to obtain the proper certificates etc, and original hand-written documents from the archives. It cost me about 250 euros, to get my family line down to the 1700s and she coallated them into a proper tree, so that I could see who married who and who are cousins, etc.

Let me know if you want her contact info...and I hope that the above helped in some way.
  • I am related to Julia de Jesus who married Joao Gomes de Caires and has a passport to the US in 1915. She is the sister of my grandfather Jose Pestana. Here is the tree I have for her husband Joao:

Ancestors Report for Joao Gomes-de-Caires created on Monday 19-Apr-10 at 09:51

1. Joao Gomes-de-Caires (1877 - )
    b. 1877 at S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    m. 10 Jun 1901 Julia Pestana at S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

Joao's Parents: Jose Gomes-de-Caires (1844), Augusta Adelaide Ferreira (1847)

Joao's Children: Manuel Gomes-de-Caires (1902), Joao Gomes-de-Caires (1909)

Joao's Grandparents: Antonio Gomes-de-Caires (1820), Joaquina Maria (1820), Joao Antonio Ferreira (1820), Alexandrinha Augusta (1820)

Joao's Parents In Law: António Pestana (1835), Maria de Jesus (1837)

Joao's Brothers and Sisters In Law: António Pestana (1860), Augusta Pestana (1862), Guilhermina Pestana (1865), Jose Pestana (1868), Manuel Pestana (1871), Joao Pestana (1875), Jacinto Pestana (1877), Silvana Pestana (1879)

Joao's Nephews and Nieces: Maria Pestana (1892), Jose Pestana (1894), Maria de Conceicao Pestana (1896), João Pestana (1898), Virginia Pestana (1899), Bela Pestana (1902), Henriqueta Pestana (1904), Olga Pestana (1905), Carlos Pestana (1907), Silvestre Pestana (1908), Maria Pestana (1892), Manuel Pestana (1895), Antonio Pestana (1898), Jose Pestana (1903), Manuel Pestana (1905), Joao Pestana (1909), Alice Pestana (1914), Alice Pestana (1919), Maria de Conceicao Pestana (1919), Maria Pestana (1903), Margarida Pestana (1905), Agostinha Ferriera (1906), Manuel Ferreira (1911), Antonio Ferreira (1915), Jose Ferreira (1915), Juliette Ferreira (1915)

*************** Generation No: 1. ********************
    2. Jose Gomes-de-Caires (1844 - )

Joao's Father
    b. 1844 at S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    m. 02 May 1869 Augusta Adelaide Ferreira at S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

Jose's Parents: Antonio Gomes-de-Caires (1820), Joaquina Maria (1820)
    Jose's Children: Joao Gomes-de-Caires (1877)

1844 - - Jose Gomes-de-Caires was born; S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    02 May 1869 25 - Married Augusta Adelaide Ferreira (aged 22); S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    1877 33 - Birth of son Joao Gomes-de-Caires; S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

3. Augusta Adelaide Ferreira (1847 - )
    Joao's Mother
    b. 1847 at S. Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    m. 02 May 1869 Jose Gomes-de-Caires at S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    d. Y

Augusta's Parents: Joao Antonio Ferreira (1820), Alexandrinha Augusta (1820)
    Augusta's Children: Joao Gomes-de-Caires (1877)

1847 - - Augusta Adelaide Ferreira was born; S. Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    02 May 1869 22 - Married Jose Gomes-de-Caires (aged 25); S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    1877 30 - Birth of son Joao Gomes-de-Caires; S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

*************** Generation No: 2. ********************
    4. Antonio Gomes-de-Caires (1820 - )

Joao's Grandfather
    b. 1820
    m. 1843 Joaquina Maria at S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

Antonio's Children: Jose Gomes-de-Caires (1844)

1820 - - Antonio Gomes-de-Caires was born;
    1843 23 - Married Joaquina Maria (aged 23); S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    1844 24 - Birth of son Jose Gomes-de-Caires; S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

5. Joaquina Maria (1820 - )

Joao's Grandmother
    b. 1820
    m. 1843 Antonio Gomes-de-Caires at S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

Joaquina's Children: Jose Gomes-de-Caires (1844)

1820 - - Joaquina Maria was born;
    1843 23 - Married Antonio Gomes-de-Caires (aged 23); S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    1844 24 - Birth of son Jose Gomes-de-Caires; S. Roque, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

6. Joao Antonio Ferreira (1820 - )

Joao's Grandfather
    b. abt 1820
    m. 1846 Alexandrinha Augusta at S. Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

Joao's Children: Augusta Adelaide Ferreira (1847)

abt 1820 - - Joao Antonio Ferreira was born;
    1846 26 - Married Alexandrinha Augusta (aged 26); S. Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    1847 27 - Birth of daughter Augusta Adelaide Ferreira; S. Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

7. Alexandrinha Augusta (1820 - )
    Joao's Grandmother
    b. abt 1820
    m. 1846 Joao Antonio Ferreira at S. Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    d.

Alexandrinha's Children: Augusta Adelaide Ferreira (1847)

abt 1820 - - Alexandrinha Augusta was born;
    1846 26 - Married Joao Antonio Ferreira (aged 26); S. Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
    1847 27 - Birth of daughter Augusta Adelaide Ferreira; S. Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
  • Hi, My ggrandmother was Isabella de Ponte b.1871-1873 in Madeira. She married (no documentation to confrim) my ggrandfather, Manuel B. Fernanadez b.1865 also from Madeira. I don't have any other information other than they immigrated to Hawaii before 1893 and had 11 children after arriving here. This is the first time I'm finding any info on de Ponte name. Very interested and look forward in finding out about the de Ponte lineage!! Mahalo
  • I have the Francisco surname and reside in Cape Town, South Africa. Most of the people in Cape Town that have the Francisco surname are from Madeira but there are a few from Angola.
  • With South African immigrants, like my father, when he arrived in Cape Town in the 1940s, the local immigration office at Home Affairs messed up thousands of surnames.
    As an example, my original family surname, for the last 300 years, was "De Ponte Ribeiro".
    But on arrival, SA Home Affairs changed this on the passport, so that "De Ponte" became the "second name" and the surname became officially "Ribeiro".
    (since my dad was a rural farm hand with no formal education, he didnt care, nor took notice.)
    "Ribeiro" basically was handed down to me as my surname and thus, I went around in circles for MONTHS, when i was trying to trace my family tree, because I had no idea, that our actual family name was "De Ponte Ribeiro" in Madeira.

So ..for all the South Africans trying to trace their family line, double check your parents and grandparents "middle names" on their ID Documents as they, more than likely should be combined with their surnames.

Just some advice...
  • Ambrosio Gomes

Hi, I am looking for Ambrosio Gomes. (living in Brazil). His parents were from Raposeira do Lugeiringho in Calheta. Mother was Maria Gomes and father Manuel Francisco Gomes. had brothers manuel,(lived in South Africa), sister Angelina gomes Jardim (lived in South Africa). other siblings but i cannot remember the names.

Any information would be appreciated.
  • Francisco is the name given to the family of my father who my father was called Francisco Pataca because he came to Cape Town with the name Francisco Antonio and was told that he did not have a surname so he was known as Pataca in Madeira and all his brothers were Antonio Francisco Manuel Francisco, Joao Francisco Maria Francisco married to Rocque
    The grand parents were from Lameiro in Estreto da Calheta in Madeira
    I am trying to contact the family again as we have all grow up and the old people are gone and we have now taken over their place
    But if you are part of the family send me a message on my e-mail
    Ricardo
  • hi Maria

I see you mention a Manuel that lived in South Africa. Do you know in which city he lived?
  • Manuel De Ponte Ribeiro? There were 2.

My grandfather came to Cape Town in 1910, and my Uncle, same name, lived in Johannesburg, Germiston i believe, 1940 - 1990.

Bear in mind, there are hundreds of "Manuel Ribeiros" in South Africa.

More details would narrow it down.....?