Staying with locals (renting a room)?

edited December 1969 in General
Hello.

I'd like to go to Madeira for a little while. That means then everything between a week and a century for me. ;-)

I was wondering if it would be possible to live together with some locals? The reason(apart from that it would maybe be less expensive) is that this way I could get more taste of the everyday life in Madeira. I'm not really into sightseeing as such, I'd like to feel the general atmosphere and way of life more. That's not to say there isn't plenty to see in Madeira though!
I've never been there so perhaps if I would already know a few people then maybe they could also give me tips&tricks about how to do things in a Madeira-way. ;-) Also it would be good if a nice soul could teach me Portuguese. :-)

If it wasn't too naive then... where could I find people who would like to accommodate me?

Thank you,
E

Comments

• Sounds easy, but it's not. If you don't already speak Portuguese, then it's probably a no hoper.

As for finding a nice soul to teach you Portuguese, then that nice soul would need to have a couple of years spare. It is a very difficult language to learn, I have been trying for 4 years, and can just about get by. I wish you luck.

Der

http://www.madeira4u.com
  • hello all you Madeira lovers!
    my name is Carlos and from Madeira but living in uk fo about 9 years now.I am married and have 2 boys aged 6 and 2.
    I am seriously thinking of retournig to Madeira very soon .
    I am at the moment trying to find someone who wants to invest in Madeira with me as my funs are a bit limited.
    I have at te moment a project for a alternative transport for tourists that has been already approved by the tourism board but my capital is not a lot.
    I am open to new ideas,nice bar?coffe shop ,maybe something conected to the english community or other,w.h.y?
    I have the local knowleage of local institutions and how things work and were to go to get them done.
    If enyone is interested ,please contact me.
    Can wait to be there on 15 december for a month!!!!
    thanks evoryone
    Carlos.
  • Hi E

My name is Kelly, and I too am interested in locating to madeira. I am a qualified hairdresser who would be willing to work mobile in order to build up my clients.

I am looking for someone to share a place with too, so maybe we can come up with something together

Kel
    xxx