Wedding in Madeira - party venues

edited December 1969 in General
Hi all,

my fiance and I would love to get married in Madeira next summer. He comes from there ... I, on the other hand, come from the Czech Republic. We both live in the UK at the moment.

Anyways, we've heard from our friends who are planning wedding in Madeira for next summer as well that most of the party venues are already booked. Could you help me and give me a list of possible wedding venues that we could check out when we go there on our holiday (in 2 weeks time).

I know you might say that my fiance comes from the island but he doesn't know many venues...he's a guy, right? :)

Anyways, please help!

Best,
Kat

Comments

• I don't know where you willbe staying in Madeira but as a wedding venue would suggest you look at www.residencialencumeada.com

Estalagem Encumeada,
    Feiteirais,
    Serra d' Agua,
    9350 Ribeira Brava.

Tel: 00351 291951282
    Fax: 00351 291951281

e-mail: recepcao@residencialencumeada.com

We have been to a few functions there including a wedding reception and they were absolutely amazing .

Hope this helps.
  • YOu are legally required to have a civil ceromony before a wedding blessing in Madeira, there are many places who will do that for you.
  • So sorry for my late reply, I forgot to check the box to get updates to my email :) Oh well ... I'm back.

I'll definitely try the www.residencialencumeada.com (thanks elaine))- looks great! We're leaving this Saturday, so I hope we'll have time to so it...we should.

My fiance's sister had a party in Canico - Quinta Splendida, but apparently it is fully books for next summer...so disappointing :(

My fiance comes from Santa Cruz BTW and we're planning to get married there in the church. The party can be anywhere...well, I'd like to have a sea view :)

I haven't heard of that you have to have civil ceremony first...is it true? Do you have a link @arumlilyplant? I'd like to sort this out asap.

Many thanks,
    Kat
  • Check with the Camara or with the British Consulate contact details :-
    Tel: +351 21 395 4082 if calling from outside Portugal

Fax: (+351) 291 212 869

Email: Britcon.Funchal@NetMadeira.com
  • Hi Katerina

I think it is only in Britain that the vicar etc is licensed to marry you in a church so yes it is true that you need to have a civil or registery office wedding which is then followed by a church blessing if you wish it. You will also need to have all relevent documents such as birth certificates translated into Portugues and this will need to be done through a Consulate and is not cheap so you may find it a better option to actually marry in the UK and then have the reception here.

I hope everything works out for you whatever you choose to do and that you will be very happy together.

Kind regards, Elaine
  • Hi all,

Thank you so much for your helpful tips. We'll do the civil wedding (here you call it 'register') in my home country. But we will still do church wedding in Madeira. My birth certificate would have to be translated to English anyway...so will get it in Portuguese when I get a chance. I knew this was going to be needed anyway, so not a biggie :)

We've seen some nice party venues already (been in Madeira since Saturday) but the prices are just too much. I could buy a house for that. €45 - €75 per person sounds crazy but apparently the flowers are going to be pricey too. Oh dear, with my fiancé's large family we'll be paying off our credit cards for several years :(

I hope I'll hear some good news soon, now I'm just getting a little depressed :(

Best,
    Kat
  • Did you try Restaurante do Forte? It's located in Forte de São Tiago, in the Old Town area.

http://www.restaurantedoforte.com.pt/en/default.asp
  • Ahoj,

mela bych dotaz ohledne svatby na Madeire,s pritelem planujeme take tam ted v lete, civilni svatbu, on je Portugalec (z Porta), papiry se mi uz zarizuji, ale nemuzu najit terminy nikde na oficialni svatebni dny.. nasla jsem odkazy na matriku a svatebni urad, ale nikdo nereaguje :-(. v mem rodnem meste je tahle listina na internetu, tady bohuzel zrejme ne :-(. dekuji predem za radu. ps: doufam ze svatba probehla v poradku a vse klape :-)
  • marcelacek Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Ahoj,
    >
    > mela bych dotaz ohledne svatby na Madeire,s
    > pritelem planujeme take tam ted v lete, civilni
    > svatbu, on je Portugalec (z Porta), papiry se mi
    > uz zarizuji, ale nemuzu najit terminy nikde na
    > oficialni svatebni dny.. nasla jsem odkazy na
    > matriku a svatebni urad, ale nikdo nereaguje :-(.
    > v mem rodnem meste je tahle listina na internetu,
    > tady bohuzel zrejme ne :-(. dekuji predem za radu.
    > ps: doufam ze svatba probehla v poradku a vse
    > klape :-)

Ahoj :),

cestina na Portugalskym forum - to jim asi zamota hlavy. Jak se mas?
    My teprve budeme mit svatbu a to v kostele, takze to mame dvakrat tak komplitovany. Ale papiry mi mamca zarizuje.
    Asi budes muset poslat pritele aby jim zavolal a zjistil co a jak. Anglictina na Madeire moc nefunguje...

Rozhodni se v jakem mestecku a v jakem miste byste to chteli a oni ti reknou jestli je ten jejich clovek z matriky busy.
    My mame termin 28/07 a budeme tam uz dva tydny predtim abychom to vsechno zaridily.

Na Madeire se rika ze svatba v srpnu znamena smulu, tak jestli na to neveris (nebo ti to je jedno) tak mas vetsi sanci nekoho najit kdo by vas oddal v srpnu.

Kde budete mit reception?

Katka xx
  • Calheta Hotel is very good.
  • Hello Kat,

Please can you advise on the result from your search for wedding venues?

We plan to get married there in February next year :)

Thanks