a good lawyer

edited December 1969 in General
hi everyone,i am looking at moving from Ireland to Madeira for 3 months a year minimum.
A property interests me and i have read up on the legal system there.
basically i need to talk to a legal person who knows the ways around the purchase of property on the Island,the owner is living in the uk and wishes to sell soonest,naturally i would be most grateful to any pointers as to who or indeed which legal firm to act on my behalf,
the Island and its people i have fallen in love with,
kind regards .rob

Comments

• We used Simmons & Simmons in Funchal. They are quite expensive though. But good English speaking lawyers.
  • Virgilio Perreira. Who is based in Ponta do Sol. His email address: pereira.office@gmail.com
  • You don't necessarily need a laywer, you can use a surveyor who can check the legal situation and give you a realistic market value for the property. Such a report will cost around 300 euro + VAT for a property outside of Funchal.
    The seller then ought to propose a promissory contract, this should be checked. I have a lawyer for this, he doesn't charge for that. The rest is with the Notary, and we have a good one in Funchal.
    Have a look at www.madeiraprep.com, there you will find the services you need.
  • I'd support Ursula above on the surveys. This is oft something not done much in property transactions in Madeira. However, I have been involved in close to a 100 real estate transactions in Madeira and not one of them was completed without the scrutiny of a lawyer. Some properties come with very tricky situations such as "surprise" easements or first right of refusal of other interested parties on the property.
  • We used a lawyer and had the property surveyed, even thought it was a new build. Most people were surprised we did this. Just do what you would do at home. Would you buy a property at home without using a lawyer or having a survey?
    We also tried to obtain a bank guarantee for our builder, but failed on this. This worried us quite a bit, as if the builder had gone bust we would have lost some of our money. Apparently these are very unusual on the island. These days you can see why, many builders have ceased trading or gone bust.
  • dubinatub Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > hi everyone,i am looking at moving from Ireland to
    > Madeira for 3 months a year minimum.
    > A property interests me and i have read up on the
    > legal system there.
    > basically i need to talk to a legal person who
    > knows the ways around the purchase of property on
    > the Island,the owner is living in the uk and
    > wishes to sell soonest,naturally i would be most
    > grateful to any pointers as to who or indeed which
    > legal firm to act on my behalf,
    > the Island and its people i have fallen in love
    > with,
    > kind regards .rob

Hi Rob,

I can recommend you Marcello Correia from Funchal, he is very good , experience solicitor, he was extremely helpful with our case - in fact he save us from big troubles on one property that wanted to buy........ he is Finnish Consul at the same time , and what important he wont overcharge you, like many do.

marcelo.correia-242m@adv.oa.pt tel. 291227111
  • thank you allo for the advice,i cant wait every day i look at the cams and say soon very soon.
  • I can recommend Dr Paulo Goncalves (Advogado).

We used his services in April to buy our property. His English is perfect so you won't have a problem with the language. He is a real "live wire"!

His email is paulogoncalves_3432c@adv.oa.pt
    Phone is 291-611-337

I'm not certain of his business address now as I believe he may have moved to a larger suite of offices recently.

Hope this helps.