Serong family, Funchal

edited December 1969 in Family and Friends
Hi there...My family left Funchal, Madeira in 1823 or 1824, and settled in the district of what is now Port Fairy, Victoria, Australia.Our surname was originally spelt Serao, but is still pronounced the same.The Serongs who emigrated from Funchal were vine pruners, and were part of a venture which was responsible for introducing verdelho viticulture in Australia.If anyone out there knows more about our family, I'd be interested to hear from you...

Comments

• My mother's maiden surname is Serrao and her Grandparents were from Funchal Madeira also. I do not have a lot of info on this side as yet. Her grandparents migrated to British Guiana, South America in late 1800's.
  • My grandfather,Jose Gomes Serrao emigrated from Funchal to Hawaii in 1883. He was a wine maker who apparently learned his trade in Madeira, and started a very succesful wine business in the Hawaiian Islands. Since the Portuguese pronunciation of Serrao is "Sarong" I find this very interesting. I know that I do have relatives in Funchal as my great grandmother's name was Maria Augusta Fernandes Neves. My great grandfather was Antonio Gomes Serrao, born Oct 1, 1814 in Funchal. Any informaton would be greatly appreciated.
    Obrigado
    Donald Serrao
  • Hello,

Just want to invite everyone to visit my web site; I collect bottles,
    and especially Joseph Gomes Serrao wine bottles...please
    visit my web site:

http://home.pacbell.net/ekaukali/

Believe I have submitted this information before; it may help
    understand the Serong (Serrao) family migration to Hilo, Hawaii,
    I trust.

Aloha~ EdwinRose Duncan wrote:

> My mother's maiden surname is Serrao and her Grandparents were
    > from Funchal Madeira also. I do not have a lot of info on this
    > side as yet. Her grandparents migrated to British Guiana, South
    > America in late 1800's.

• i AM TRACING MY FAMILY TREE DESCENDED FROM EMANUEL SERONG 1793-1880 m Anne Antonia.
    Looking for info.
  • Hi my name is Cheryl Baker nee Serong and I am a decendant of Emanuel Seroa and my sister is Sharon McWilliam nee Serong and we would like any information you can share with us.

My father was leonard Francis Serong and my grandfather was Thomas Andrew Serong.

Regards

Cheryl
  • Emanuel serrao married antonia da silva and migrated to Australia at the request of dr William red fern to assist his wine growing plans. They settled in Sydney, red fern died without realising his ambitions. Emanuel worked as a policeman and applied for land from gov Macquarie but was refused on the grounds that he was an alien. The family left Sydney and went to. Victoria. My great grandfather Joseph serong was born in Sydney and married Jane day. We have a fairly extensive family tree in Australia but no information on the family before they left Madeira.