Why are there so many spectacular villas abandoned?

edited December 1969 in Real Estate
I've just come back from a holiday in Funchal and, being on a budget, walked around the town quite a lot. We remember seeing a number of large and spectacular properties that looked like abandoned homes and hotels. Why is this? The one we fell in love with seems to be listed on Google as
Largo do Socorro (32.647108,-16.896697). We'd love to know it's history...I'm sure I'm not the first to ask about this house on Rua de Santa Maria. Is it just too near the cliffs and subject to falling into the sea!!

Comments

• the property you fell in love just been sold by www,nobregareality.com.
    Also lots of property in madeira are from very rich famely and their children dont agree wich one gets wat.
    im madeiran living in in uk for 24 years.
    regards
    j correia
  • Thanks for the info....how much did it sell for?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    One year later and this building is still abandoned. Does anyone know anything new? (Google ref:32.647041,-16.896557)
  • One year later and this building is still abandoned. Does anyone know anything new? (Google ref:32.647041,-16.896557)
  • Hello,

i know the house, it's beautiful! I was asking myself the same question, but it's true, often buildings are empty because the family members don't get round to a decision. I remember having heard a story about this one when i was researching about rebuilding a house nearby. Have to find out again what it was...
    If you're on the island ask in the Barreirinha Bar near the house, they know a guy who knows all the stories of that area. I'll try to remember next time i'm there.
    kind regards,
    Dirk